Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Yahoo article explaining recent pricing increases

These are precisely my sentiments:

"Keith Martin, longtime publisher of Portland, Ore.-based Sports Car Market newsletter, counsels collectors with a yen and wallet for an early air-cooled car to “skip the early S model, and look for a 911 (E or T) from 1969 to 1973, which will be half the price (of a $200,000 S) but offer 95% of the driving pleasure.”

A couple of engine mods and your T will drive like an S...

nemo me impune lacessit Kris Clewell's Avatar
    Man do I so not care what my car is worth.... It's nice to know but...?
    -Kris Clewell

Professional photojournalist

red decklid club member #1

I've been telling myself I'll never own another long hood S - they are just getting too expensive -for 2-3 years now but damn it I one doesn't show up in my garage now and again. My favorite 911's are always hot rods - never stock ones. I'd really like to build at least one more.
    Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658

Quote Originally Posted by gsjohnson View Post
    A couple of engine mods and your T will drive like an S...

Hehe......
    Early 911 S Registry #2701
    930 powered 1973 911T

So I have to ask you, if you don't give a sh--t about values why are you wasting your time responding about it here on this Fourm??
    Bob Lee,
    San Clemente, Ca.

Quote Originally Posted by super9064 View Post
    Lets throw this question out there.

Does the the increased value of your car make you consider cashing out, and pay off that mortgage, or does it make you want to hang on for dear life, because if you sell, you may not ever again, be able to get into an early 911? Alternatively, I don't give a sh*t about value I just enjoy driving my car, and don't give it a second thought.

nemo me impune lacessit Kris Clewell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bob lee View Post
    So I have to ask you, if you don't give a sh--t about values why are you wasting your time responding about it here on this Fourm??
    Bob Lee,
    San Clemente, Ca.

because some of us are here to discuss our opinions about topics surrounding these cars on a discussion board. Why are you here?
    -Kris Clewell

Professional photojournalist

red decklid club member #1

The Invisible hand

Quote Originally Posted by super9064 View Post
    . . . Does the the increased value of your car make you consider cashing out, and pay off that mortgage, or does it make you want to hang on for dear life, because if you sell, you may not ever again, be able to get into an early 911? Alternatively, I don't give a sh*t about value I just enjoy driving my car, and don't give it a second thought . . .
    Well --- whether I like it or not . . . whether I want to or not . . .

. . . values are on my mind . . .

. . . and they're NOT something that I have control over. (Recall one Adam Smith)

Besides, My Car Thing has always been about breaking even. After experiencing a 20%-in-1 year depreciation episode first-hand as a Wee Pup, I haven't bought a new car since. Old cars = cheaper than New = simple math. And when I purchased my Early 911? --- it was one very-specific/calculated purchase . . . + one that I consciously/willingly went back to driving 20 year-old BMWs to pay for

All I wanted was an Early 911 --- a car w/ features + performance that I thought made such a car special --- + fun! . . . even today. And, although I hoped that values would hold . . . I could never have predicted --- or imagined . . . what's happened since

I have savings + investments, sure . . . but I've never had something that valuable in my garage . . .

. . . and for what it costs me?

'Cause, for me --- The Question is NOT . . . What's My Car Worth?

Instead? . . .

. . . What's My Car Cost?

'Cause, when I can't afford to comfortably/properly maintain + store + insure my car? . . .

. . . then --- it'll be time to do something else . . . .

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...eedster-RS-RSR
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by LongRanger; 07-27-2014 at 05:11 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by bob lee View Post
    Bob Lee,
    San Clemente, Ca.
    LOL!! Whenever my buddy drives one of his Triumphs people always want to talk to him about the car. Lately when he drives his early model 911 more of the time they ask about investment value and not about the car itself. A sad reality?

Those of you who "don't even think about values" are either kidding yourselves, or truly on an income I'll never know

I own two early 911s - the T was and is my only true car love... I was always, always going to own a longhood 911 - even when they weren't de rigor. The second one I bought came as a pair of 68s for a price that was exceptionally good. I later found out one was a matching numbers S (hidden under the G body) and sold it to defray all costs. This remaining 68L coupe is ideal for historic racing and I've set off on this course... Am I having second thoughts about wheeling around a $60k car for sh!ts and giggles? Absolutely!

I have a little boy that I want the best for (don't we all ). I can't help but think that either one of these cars will put him through a quality private school and university/college and that I should be smart about capitalising on at least one of them. I'm a regular joe otherwise and can't afford private school fees...
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga