Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: 1977 930 Turbo 3.0 value?

Quote Originally Posted by csawyer View Post
    Yes, but the 3.3 is ok with the 4-speed. There's less turbo lag and a much broader torque band (and obviously more power). The 3.3 Turbo is a fabulous car -- absolutely thrilling to drive, much better developed than the 3.0, without the menacing danger. It's my second favorite Porsche after the 2.2 911S.
    So my 3.0 has fabspeed headers and muffler - so maybe that is the difference -I think the 3.0 spools quicker due to the shorter stroke crank, to me it's like the difference between a 2.2 and 2.4 S motor, subtle but noticable once you driven both. In all fairness I have never driven a totally stock (US spec) 930 mine have all had a Euro spec exhaust. I did own a 930 with a bigger intercooler & turbo, SC cams and a G50 tranny- that car was a rocket.
    Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658

Banned
    The same thing happens every time I get out of a customer's 930 after a test drive on the street:

I say to myself

"now that was stupid."

ALL of YOU know what I'm talking about!

Quote Originally Posted by pu911rsr View Post
    So my 3.0 has fabspeed headers and muffler - so maybe that is the difference -I think the 3.0 spools quicker due to the shorter stroke crank, to me it's like the difference between a 2.2 and 2.4 S motor, subtle but noticable once you driven both. In all fairness I have never driven a totally stock (US spec) 930 mine have all had a Euro spec exhaust. I did own a 930 with a bigger intercooler & turbo, SC cams and a G50 tranny- that car was a rocket.
    Phil
    I've never driven anything other than Euro Turbos, nor have I ever driven one anywhere but in Germany, so my experience isn't that broad.

I don't know about that quicker spooling, but I sure know what you mean with the 2.2 versus 2.4 -- it's chalk and cheese. But I always thought that was the compression ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    The same thing happens every time I get out of a customer's 930 after a test drive on the street:

I say to myself

"now that was stupid."

ALL of YOU know what I'm talking about!
    Lololol! Yes, we do. Exactly!

Congrats on the car purchase. Love the color. Did anyone answer your question about the odd thing dangling from the headliner? I recall recently seeing a thread here asking the same thing - like it was a sensor for the climate control or the like? Maybe LiveFromNY was the person who answered it.

Scott
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)

Banned
    Scott,

Yes John answered it.

It was a device way ahead of its time. It's a sensor that picks up bad odors in the cabin (yes, those kinds of odors.), sends the information to a control unit, which in turn triggers a dispenser below the kneebar. The result is an intoxicating aroma of Black Forest Lumberjack musk and the fine bouquet of a gently aged Bordeaux.

Classic response (as always) Frank.

Scott
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)

Quote Originally Posted by pu911rsr View Post
    article posted in Oct pano on 911 turbo valuations- Magnus just listed a 77 at $108k already with 4 days to go.
    Phil
    Magnus finally has his much sought after 1975 turbo, so one of his '76 Turbos can go I guess.

75-red-magnus-walker.jpg

Only 274 were made in '75 - the first production year. Less than 100 seem to exist. This '75 Turbo recently sold for 325.000 dollar.

http://cprclassic.com/images/carsfor...pe/images.html

Erik

member #1515
    I agree with Frank on this, I've owned several Turbos. Previous to the 91, the Turbo was a miserable beast. Nothing under 3000RPM, then Oh My GOD I'm going to die.
    One had to time the boost, which meant flooring the throttle way before you needed the power. An acquired skill. Along with lousy A/C, noisy transmission, high temps when on the boost in hot weather. I ended up using a huge RSR oil cooler in a front DP spoiler, along with a bigger intercooler. Even so, constant detonation issues on the crappy gas of the period. On hot days on the highway I literally drove the car on the temp gauge.
    The 4 speed left big holes in performance when not on boost.
    The 964 finally made the Turbo usable.
    If you only used the old cars on the highway, they were magnificent, it was everyday use that made them difficult to live with.
    Until they got the 917 brakes nobody was home.
    But like an XKE THEY SURE LOOKED GREAT!
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

I just went for a drive in my 77 euro spec stock 930 (rhd no brake booster),I didn't get out and say "now that was stupid". If you like the car that is enough,if you don't you don't buy one,simple.
    S Registry#2021