Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1977 930 Turbo 3.0 value?

https://www.hagerty.com/valuationtoo...ort?vc=1246006, old information prices have continued to climb, there are early turbo sales that are $200k +. Baron's got shop full of these. I've owned a 77 and been very happy with it, like it more than the 3 79's I've owned. There is pretty active thread on pelican on turbo values, a lot of crap to sift through, good luck.
    Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658

Thanks everyone.

Mechanically, what's the difference between US and Euro spec?

I agree with ya!

Unfortunately, I have more unconventional reason for wanting one of these badboys... mainly my Granddad taking my out in one as a child and it's always stuck with me. I was looking for a 77 before I got sidetracked and got the 72's

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    A '77 930 is not "worth" 150k.
    And I don't even believe a good one would sell for that.

'77 was the bastard child of all Turbos. The worst ones in terms of drivability were '76 because you have to sideswiped a K rail for an extended period of time in order to slow them down... but they command a high price because of first year status.
    Member No. 2861
    @p911r on Instagram

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mmeldrum21 View Post
    I agree with ya!

Unfortunately, I have more unconventional reason for wanting one of these badboys... mainly my Granddad taking my out in one as a child and it's always stuck with me. I was looking for a 77 before I got sidetracked and got the 72's
    Can't debate the value of sentimentality. You cannot put a price on Euphoric Memories.

I will never forget my first wringing out of a 930 in '76. Minerva Blue/Cork leather; it took my breath away and was the coolest car a 16 year old could lay his hands on. (Yes. There are many benefits of growing up a grease monkey in a Porsche shop.)

BUT... I have no desire to own one. Apparently I'm the exception.

Can't argue with the fact that the '76-'77 cars had bad tires, bad brakes, and bad lag.....relative to what came later (16" rims and P7s, four piston Brembos, and more linear boost) HOWEVER.....

Remember when all SWB 911s, including S models were yesterday's news and to be avoided?

The '76-'77 cars were significant and iconic.
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

Quote Originally Posted by pu911rsr View Post
    https://www.hagerty.com/valuationtoo...ort?vc=1246006, old information prices have continued to climb, there are early turbo sales that are $200k +. Baron's got shop full of these. I've owned a 77 and been very happy with it, like it more than the 3 79's I've owned. There is pretty active thread on pelican on turbo values, a lot of crap to sift through, good luck.
    Phil
    Thats Sweet... I just pick up a 77 ROW for @ 20ish .. I guess i got the 2007 thru 2013 price ...lol
    ... its in the paint shop going back to ice green metallic .. let hope its a quarter mill car once finished lol

Quote Originally Posted by blue72s View Post
    Thanks everyone.

Mechanically, what's the difference between US and Euro spec?
    The US cars used thermal reactors on exhaust and made 245 hp vs. 260 on euro cars. Don't know if there are other differences, as there were on the later intercooled turbo's.

Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658

'86 on. 3.3 intercooler, had regular header/heater boxes, but a huge catalytic converter before the likewise huge muffler. Sapped 30-40 hp and ran very hot creating engine compartment issues. The US cars were rated around 260hp and Euro cars around 300hp.
    Most people out here on the left edge drop the whole thing between smog tests......huge temperature drop and hp gain......and 30+ lbs off the rear depending on what one replaces it with....the Fabspeed Zork weighs only 5-6 lbs and sounds really nice......no louder than a twin pipe sport on an early 911.
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

Quote Originally Posted by pu911rsr View Post
    The US cars used thermal reactors on exhaust and made 245 hp vs. 260 on euro cars.

Phil
    5-blade fan also? Did the early US spec Turbo's suffer from any overheating like the 2.7 cars?

How about a 79, already 3.3 and intercooler I believe, but still not plagued by all the smog issues.

Any comments on that? I am considering one but don't know much about them
    Henry