Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 1977 930 Turbo 3.0 value?

I don't believe the 76-77 turbo's came with a 5 blade fan. They did not suffer from the same issues as 2.7's as they used reinforced AL cases, much stronger than the 7R mag cases. The 79's ran a air injection system and thermal reactors but no cat, the thermal reactors run very hot and very hard on valves, most of these have been replaced with a Euro factory or aftermarket system at this point.
    Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658

any pics yet? What color?

Quote Originally Posted by blue72s View Post
    No, I don't have one to sell. Sorry.

Factors? It's unmolested and I believe the paintwork is still original. It is US spec though, not Euro. Still has the original fiberglass whaletail engine lid. Just wanted to know what's it worth. Sorry no pics yet.
    Member No. 2861
    @p911r on Instagram

The '79 model year was intended to be the "last" 930 model imported......emissions, etc. Inside word was over the subsequent years Porsche saw a huge influx of grey market cars which became a double edged sword....many of the conversions were cobbed up hack jobs creating not only an image problem for them, but an obvious loss of revenue from lost sales of legitimate cars they could have sold. Insurance companies would not insure the grey cars due to shoddy conversions and "incidents" (mainly fires) dealers were being confronted by grey car owners demanding repairs. The '86-on cars with the HUGE catalytic converters were the answer...the last "last" being the G50 '89 cars.

The market seems to reward the '76 cars, historically first model, '79 cars, the "true last", and the '89 five speed cars.....all garnering top dollar. Nice low milage cars bringing $100K plus.
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

Quote Originally Posted by hdavis View Post
    How about a 79, already 3.3 and intercooler I believe, but still not plagued by all the smog issues.

Any comments on that? I am considering one but don't know much about them
    I bought one in January. I was looking for a '76 through '79. '76-'77 (there were '75 cars, but...) have their charms. Oddly enough, these features (15" wheels, little brakes, a/c slapped under the dash, etc. also are hallmarks of let's say, a '76 911 but no one seems to be breaking down doors to get their hands on one of them. One distinguishing feature on '76-'77 is the undeniably more attractive tail. The reason for that going away is the addition of an intercooler. An intercooler, huge brakes (finned four piston calipers, cross drilled, no less) and a bigger engine. '78-'79 cars weren't UR Turbos, but certainly UR outrageous Turbos. Porsche stopped selling these "doctor killers" in the states at the end of '79. They were gone from the US but even the ROW cars started to lose their attitude. Sport seats weren't as sporty, floating front brake rotors, hand welded bodywork, the ridiculous boost that is stupid fun all kind of faded away. It should be noted that early cars had "930" serial numbers and while some 935s were tube framed cars, regular cars in the 930 chassis sequence were turned into race cars and beating open prototypes regularly. Never before or since were street Porsche derivatives beating up on prototypes. The 930 was the first Porsche production supercar. Up until the 930, a 911 would be compared to a 246 Dino, but not a 365GTB Daytona. The 930 could be bought in Akron, Seattle or anywhere and be driven across country or town to a shop that Federalized Ferrari BBs and if the Ferrari ran for an hour straight without catching on fire or such, would be given a good scare from the Porsche. These cars are tastelessly modified, remind people of coke dealers and Don Johnson. Too bad, I guess.

P.S. Watch for broken head studs. Aftermarket exhaust that do away with thermal reactors are OK. Otherwise, stock,stock and stock. If the motor has blue or red anywhere there shouldn't be...run!
    P.P.S. You have a SWB "S". I have a 67 Normale. In my opinion you have the early 911 thing covered. You will love an early 930.

The market as I see all other thing being equal prices for 76 have the highest prices 79 lowest but spread not very large. 76-77 driver's are $80-100K +, total pristine 79's are advertised for sale for close to $300k. Don't see that many 76-77 turbo carrera's on open market but plenty of really nice low miles 79's advertised for sale.
    Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658

Thanks for the comments guys, very helpful as always. So it seems a 79 would be a good one to have. This one has 60k on it and is apparently in very good shape. I will look at it later this week.

Here are a couple of pics
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Henry

Henry,

Looks like a keeper to me- is it s ROW car, you may want to check that out.

Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658

I would favor a ROW car that was brought in more recently under the 25 year exemption over a gray market conversion but if the conversion has held up and the car has stateside history it probably is a wash. One thing either way is to figure out the miles with the speedo switch. That car: awesome color, sport seats, the leather dash appears nice around the vents. Nice looking car!

Just found a low milage '86, all original and unmolested. Out here (CA) everyone just drops the cat between smogs....less weight, more power, less heat. I dropped the cat AND the muffler for a Fabspeed Zork Tube...even more weight off, no louder than a twin pipe sport on a 2 liter....AND it's sounds like a Turbo should! Passed muster this past Sat at EASY.
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

Quote Originally Posted by pu911rsr View Post
    Henry,

Looks like a keeper to me- is it s ROW car, you may want to check that out.

Phil
    I am told it is US car. Surely a ROW car would be better, but for now this is the option, great color combination, apparently good shape and decent price. If it all checks out once I see it, the 911 and the 356 might get a younger brother....
    Henry