Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The restoration of #9112300023

The restoration of #9112300023

So, I'm at my National Sales Meeting back in 2006 and a new sales guy is sitting next to me talking about Porsche's. It was pretty well know in the company that I was into Porsche's. So, this new guy Andy is telling me he has this Porsche he's been using for DE's and Autocrossing. I ask him what kind of Porsche do you have. His reply " I have a 72 911 S that some astronaut guy used to own". At the time I had a couple of projects going and I had no idea if he would even want to sell it. I get home from the meeting and I can't get the car out of my head. I just keep thinking it's a 72S! I can't sleep. So, I call Andy and ask him if there's any chance he'd sell me the car. And so it goes from here. I bought the car had it shipped to San Diego, CA from Atlanta. A week later the car shows up at around Midnight and I drive it to my house. The next morning I drive it around the block a few times and then put it on jack stands and tear it apart. I knew when I bought it that I'd restore it to as it was when Walter Cunningham picked it up from the dealer, Nothwood Porsche Audi Inc. San Antonio, TX on 10/21/71. Seven days after I was born! A very late birthday present I guess.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    72S, 72T now ST

Here's the car as it was before I started the restoration. Dan, who owned it before Andy had turned it into an RS clone of sorts. As you can see in the bottom of the picture he kept the original arches/flares he cut of it. The car was pretty much rust free except for the dreaded parcel self.
    72S, 72T now ST

I had no idea who Walter Cunningham was until I bought this car. He was on the good side of Porsche NA and owned about 15 Porsches in his life. Eade had his 67S and filled me in on who he was. I contacted him soon after I got the car. I saw him on Fox News 2 weeks ago on the morning show talking about NASA. I'm thinking that's how he got this car so early in 1971 as he was a VIP customer. This car has an aluminum engine lid and license panel. Again I believe it has these because it was so early in the production run.
    72S, 72T now ST

The car came to me with 89,000.00 miles on it and I'm the fifth owner. Best of Show Coachworks has been doing the metal and paint work. For the last 5 years I've been collecting NOS parts and restoring the suspension, engine and well everything. The first order of business was to cut out the parcel shelf and RS flares. I bought a 72S Targa that was in a really bad crash in 1974 and was only on the road for 2 years and stored indoors. We cut the parcel self out of it and used it for this 72S. So it has a parcel self from another 72S. Not that it matters but I'm anal about this stuff.
    72S, 72T now ST

Nice.

Maybe this is the first U.S. spec. 1972 911S produced ?

New shelf installed. Sorry, if I jump around with pictures here. I have so many but will get to the good stuff you want to see.
    72S, 72T now ST

I love threads like this. Pics and details on the cars and the people that love(d) them.

Looking forward to it unfolding.

Thanks for sharing
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

The front pan had been replaced before and it wasn't too bad but I wanted it done perfect. I ordered a front panel from Porsche and we modified the gas tank support to look factory since that piece only comes as the updated part. The original battery boxes were not replaced as they are in great shape.
    72S, 72T now ST

Check this, found in a book published in France.
    There is no further info, just the picture published.
    The picture was discussed on this board before, but I think it might belongs to this thread ?

Registry member No.773

Quote Originally Posted by 911T1971 View Post
    Check this, found in a book published in France.
    There is no further info, just the picture published.
    The picture was discussed on this board before, but I think it might belongs to this thread ?

I think it's my car but I can't prove for sure that it is. I sent the picture to Walter and he said that picture is the front of the VAB at the Kennedy Space Center while they are rolling out a Saturn V. He said he sold one of his Porsche's to a guy that worked for NASA at the Cape. So, it could be my car but he couldn't remember if it was mine or not.
    72S, 72T now ST