Page 3 of 77 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Collector Car Market – The Beginning of The End?

I don't care about 'the collector car market.' I care about the vintage Porsche market.

The heat moved to long hoods several years ago and I haven't seen any cooling. The rising tide has pulled up short hood Porsches as well.

The super rich are running vintage Ferrari prices into the mid 8 figures. Contemporary Porsches still seem a bargain by comparison.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Ferrari production during the SWB and LWB early era was probably 10 fold less than Porsche. That ratio is less if you only compare against the S and RS P cars which is probably the better apples and apples comparison. The Dino 246 GT had 2487 copies between '69 and '74 and the GTS has 1274. Maybe 1/3 instead of 1/10. Those are the cars one has to look at in comparison. The hyper exotic one and two and ten off cars that Ferrari made are the 8 figure cars. Not the bread and butter ones like the Dino.

Nonetheless, if you look at the Dinos, the GTS lags behind our RS while the GT leads our S in price. SO I don't think the markets for the comparators are out of whack.

Ravi
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

The market NEEDS to slow down. Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

The mass media hyperbole continues . . .

And yes, these LA Times articles cover the 'Collector Car' market, not the vintage car market. But fortunately/unfortunately (depending on your point of view) the rising tide raises all boats. Hopefully we will see moderation in the upward trend.

Ferrari 250 GTO could sell for $70 million at Monterey Car Week

Steve McQueen's Ferrari, others could total $450 million in Pebble Beach

Doug Dill

1973 911E Coupe
    PCA #1987109761
    Early 911S Registry #548

Those pundits are severely overestimating what that GTO will sell for, given it's history.
    Several I have spoken to wouldn't even bid on it.

Severe discount to all the others. $40mm? Maybe. I have heard lower guesses.

Quote Originally Posted by John Binion View Post
    Good call. Hammered at $38M. Perhaps sanity was invited to the Quail this year.
    Sanity? Isn't 38M, 38 friggin' mil?

Ciao

Jim

38 mil was still record money, it just wasn't a record for a GTO sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post

Ciao

Jim
    Probably not too insane... it's still about $6,000,000 less than the price of its weight in gold. Although by the time the buyer's premium goes on...
    Last edited by 91133; 08-14-2014 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Detail
    Early S #2826

Garage:
    '73 E (2.7RS replica) - sold
    '94 968 Clubsport M030 - sold
    '67 250SE Cabriolet - sold
    '71 Skyline GT - sold
    '69 911S - sold
    '73 911T/RS

nemo me impune lacessit Kris Clewell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beh911 View Post
    Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

This is a negative post.

This topic comes up every other day.

The same hand wringers comment, the "true enthusiasts" insist value isn't important, and then two days later someone starts another value thread

Right? it's like some sort of dejavu.com thing.

-Kris Clewell

Professional photojournalist

red decklid club member #1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post

Ciao

Jim
    It's the car. A different GTO would be $60 - $70mm.