Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Speedster and the 356

Cool The Speedster and the 356

OK Gang.......here are the Speedster and 1965 356 shots. ******WARNING******** That is my Mom in the Speedster so go easy on the comments . These were both taken probably around 1972-1973ish. I believe we moved to Sea Ranch from Laguna Beach in 1972 when I was 2. I post these for a couple reasons. Many of you own Original Speedsters and older 356's as well. I can try and help with history on either one because they were both bought new and my Dad still remembers who he sold them to. The 356 has a funny (and not so funny) story. He sold it to a "Preacher." I will not disclose the price because you will all spit out your coffee (and or beer). But story goes, he sold it to him for what he paid for it. Back then you were doing well if you did that. Well, he also found out my Dad did gold jewelry. So, he wanted to buy one of his rings. He settled on a ring, told my Dad he just brought enough scratch for the car, can he send him a check? Well, you all know the ending to this story. Never received the check. Only reason he let him do that was because he was a "Preacher." Well, I'm sure you can guess how he feels about Preachers today. Enough of my 'preaching." But, the only question I would like answered from anyone is:

I have never seen this color on a Speedster to this day. It was an original color. Like a mustard yellow. Does anyone know what the Porsche color code was for this or what it was called? Been wondering this for years and years. Thanks for looking. Just don't look at my Mom......just kidding....well... maybe not. Enjoy! Again, I will have some more shots with plates for Speedster so somebody may know where these are.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great photos. Love your moms outfit.

You grew up in Sea Ranch?

For 8 years yes.... from like 2 years old to 10 years old then moved to Santa Rosa in fourth grade.

Did your parent work there? I just assumed it was weekend houses.

I'll PM you.

I sold my 1955 Speedster in 1977 for $6500 if that helps

Quote Originally Posted by gsjohnson View Post
    I sold my 1955 Speedster in 1977 for $6500 if that helps
    They were sub $5000. cars when I bought my first 356 in the 70's. In 1982 I turned down a 4 cam engine for $800. Could have put it into my another one of my 356's but then thought why bother because the engines were so finicky and would never be worth anything.

You say yours was 'original'? Odd color

The only 'factory' standard-color yellow that I can recall was Condor --- from '61 on, I believe? . . . lighter/paler (mucho) than what's showing in this photo, though

'Paint-to-sample,' maybe?

Should put this up on The 356 Registry site. Those Guys 'll come up with something . . . prolly even know the car today! . . .

We Can Be Heroes

Well, I stand corrected on a couple things and looking into a couple more. I spoke a little too soon (mostly based off memory growing up), keep in mind I was a pup when they sold these. I emailed my Mom today to ask some questions for some people and I am finding out all kinds of things. First off, he did not buy them new, I am guessing second owner on both but she will have more answers later when Dad gets off the golf course. LOL. I should have asked all this first but whatever, now I am even more curious. I am going to ask about the paint and see what the story is. Because I thought he bought the speedster new, I always ASS-U-MEd it was original. Sounds like it is not now from you fine members comments (I thank you). Well, that was the main reason for posting on here and probably why I have never seen another one like it. I always thought that odd, but the color has a Porsche feel to it to where I thought it was just a rare color. Someone wanted to know, late-55 or 56, I did get confirmation 1956. She is digging up more pics tonight. The Black 1965 bought at Porsche dealer in San Juan Capistrano from an ex-buddy of my Dad's. Didn't specify if he simply was the salesman, or if it was his personal car. I know who he is talking about, Gordon Spaw. I'll check on that too. I'm hoping someone out there knows where these cars are and what they look like now, I am just real curious. That would be fun for my Mom and Dad to see. They really loved those cars. So any more info is always welcome. Will follow up later if I learn anything else. And if any of you would like to post to 356 Registry, go for it. I didn't want to join just for this reason, I am kept busy enough reading all of these stories and more interested in this board as I have a 1968.

Get those VINS . . . then skeedaddle over to The 356 Registry . . .

. . . post 'em up --- along w/ your pics

You mentioned that your Dad knew who he sold his Speedie to? . . . then drop that name

Odds are? . . . some one 'll know something

And if you do re-connect w/ the Current Owner? . . . be prepared to blow some minds

Good luck t' ya . . .

. . . and good karma

And thanks for posting this

How many people come here --- to this site . . . . just to try to connect w/ The Past?

We Can Be Heroes