Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Speedster and the 356

Funny about childhood memories...I was 3 or 4 years old and I had this Radio Flyer that I would sit in and ride down our street which was on a steep hill. I could never make it down to the bottom of the hill because I would get going so fast... I would chicken out and turn into our neighbor's driveway. I must have tried to muster up the guts to make it too the bottom of that hill a 100 times.

Armed with the address that my Mother had given me, while heading to Big Bear one day, I decided to search for my old house with that steep hill. I had a vivid memory of this house and hill...I was excited to find my house after 50 years...And that steep hill? Looked to be as flat as my first girlfriend.
    Last edited by gsjohnson; 08-07-2014 at 08:16 PM.

Yeah that is so funny you say that. The picture of the Black 356 is taken on the cul-de-sac where I grew up. Black Point Close in Sea Ranch. We were first house on left (there are 3 other homes in cul-de-sac now). So we had it all to ourselves as kids. I remember the same thing, scared to ride the skateboard all the way down. I went back years later and first off, seemed a lot shorter, the length of the street, but same thing flatter than my voice singing around the campfire after some John Daniels. Good stuff! I'm thinking that odd color may produce some leads now, maybe better not an original color. It would have stood out. I noticed the gas cap was painted black too, was that common? Or at least in the pic it looks that way.

Quote Originally Posted by gsjohnson View Post
    Funny about childhood memories...I was 3 or 4 years old and I had this Radio Flyer that I would sit in and ride down our street which was on a steep hill. I could never make it down to the bottom of the hill because I would get going so fast... I would chicken out and turn into our neighbor's driveway. I must have tried to muster up the guts to make it too the bottom of that hill a 100 times.

Armed with the address that my Mother had given me, while heading to Big Bear one day, I decided to search for my old house with that steep hill. I had a vivid memory of this house and hill...I was excited to find my house after 50 years...And that steep hill? Looked to be as flat as my first girlfriend's chest.

So, for those that are still following this. Got some feedback from members and others and it is starting to look like I am solving the mystery. I am being told it had never been wrecked (other than slightly hitting our garage door once) I guess. More damage to door than car. That the paint is the same as a 1966 911 Bahama Yellow. Being that the picture is old and the majority in the shade, it looked like a darker hue. But after looking at many pictures online of 911 and 356 in that color, the majority of them seem to match up to the darker hued Bahama Yellow. Maybe back in 1956 they were still playing with the color mixture a bit. But it does look like the same, and some more pictures will go up when I receive them, hopefully in the sun. Also, does anyone know how to use this spell check without having to download that iespell? It looks like a bogus site with ads etc. Why would you have to download that? Every time I hit spellcheck it wants to download that application and I really don't want to have to do that, any others have that issue? I thank those of you who have given me input on my questions!

I think Google chrome has an option to spell check everything you type. Or you can type the post in Microsoft Word and copy-paste over here. I use firefox but don't spell check. If I am unsure of a word I just google it and it will give me the correct spelling.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Another picture with plate but unfortunately unreadable...hopefully more to come.

img005 (2).jpgThat is what I have been doing sometimes, most of the time I am too lazy. Ok, good to know though so not just my computer that it wants to download that program.

Quote Originally Posted by Flieger View Post
    I think Google chrome has an option to spell check everything you type. Or you can type the post in Microsoft Word and copy-paste over here. I use firefox but don't spell check. If I am unsure of a word I just google it and it will give me the correct spelling.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sandbeige911; 08-10-2014 at 05:03 PM.

Any more üpdates?

Your folks must 've been pretty interesting . . . their 356s must 've seemed even more outta place, Back Then than now. And I think your pics are just fantastic! (And who took the one o' your folks --- in the driveway?)

More, please?

We Can Be Heroes

I was running my daily driver Speedster in San Francisco during this period. Speedsters were considered nut ball cars driven by hard core enthusiasts in those days. It was popular to dislike nice cars in the bay area then but all you had to say was "It's kinda like a VW". Actually the - what we would now call a Greenie types- didn't seem to notice all that much. I also drove a some very interesting cars back then and the only thing anyone seemed to notice was a Lusso. Those were fun days when you could simply enjoy these things and drive the wheels off of them.

Very much enjoying this and subscribed. Thanks for sharing.

Any updates?

. . .

Attached Images Attached Images

We Can Be Heroes