Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: '14 Motorsports Reunion - aka MONTEREY CAR WEEK

The year is winding down, so why shouldn't my appearantly endless thread about the greatest car festival in the country end as well at this time. It's been a pleasure and a sometimes frustrating & futile effort to capture the deeply satisfying but always fulfilling second week in August in one of the loveliest spots in America. I can't wait for the 2015 edition of the ever-changing and evolving Monterey Car Week.

The final set of photos.

Thanks for looking, and a Merry Christmas to all.

JZG
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

Huge effort, John! Many thanks. Great Christmas present to the board.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Quote Originally Posted by Flieger View Post
    That's a Tesla Model S, not an Infiniti.
    Max, you're correct - shown is a Saleen Automotive 4 Sixteen Model S, based on the Tesla S. The infinity I mistakenly referred to has the almost identical lines to the Saleen / Tesla and was the same Candy Red. Sorry

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."

Thumbs up

John G.,

Thanks so much for your generous text and your absolutely GORGEOUS photos..........
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

John, the car in post 177 with the round fuel tank wearing start-number 2 from the 1914 Grand Prix de l'Automobile Club de France is the Opel grand prix car that Carl Jorns drove to a 10th place finish behind the Mercedes sweep. The Hispano-Suiza coupe chauffeur in post 178 is of course bodied by the Franco-American carrossiers Fernandez (with an "F") et Darrin. Also, I believe that Duesenberg aficionados consider their engines to be "Apple-Green" rather than Kelly.

I just want to help educate; given the vast number of images you have produced, you are a miracle-worker to keep so much of of what you have seen in your head. Merry Christmas, and many thanks for this early present!

-- David
    Last edited by Nine17; 12-15-2014 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nine17 View Post
    John, the car in post 177 with the round fuel tank wearing start-number 2 from the 1914 Grand Prix de l'Automobile Club de France is the Opel grand prix car that Carl Jorns drove to a 10th place finish behind the Mercedes sweep.
    I just want to help educate; given the vast number of images you have produced, you are a miracle-worker to keep so much of of what you have seen in your head. Merry Christmas, and many thanks for this early present!

-- David
    Thanks, David…..right as usual on all counts.

To atone for my sin of inattention I have corrected Post #177 by showing the car that's actually described in the text.

I am also posting photos of both cars below to try to gain some sympathy for my error by illustrating just how damned similar to each other they appear. As if the lesson were necessary, this is yet another demonstration of what happens when one assumes something - in the very early hours of the Concours during stageing and before cappuccino I looked up and here was a white GP car with a #2 on its grill, therefore it had to be the Mercedes I had seen at Laguna Seca the day before, right ?………. when in reality the Mercedes never even made it to Pebble Beach - hence the shot of it in the pits at the track.
    Attached Images Attached Images