Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: '14 Motorsports Reunion - aka MONTEREY CAR WEEK

Thank you, John, for the excellent photos! Hope to see more...
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Gris View Post
    Hope to see more...
    …………….and you shall !!

Got back early evening yesterday after our traditional 'day after' all the automotive festivities of the Monterey Peninsula area , when we relax, stroll Carmel, and have our traditional picnic lunch at Point Lobos, where a huge influx of humpback whales, attracted by an unprecedented increase in the anchovy population this year provided a spectacular show of their feeding frenzy in brilliant weather…………a truly wonderful ending to a very special week. It was on the return home that we were rudely yanked back into reality, a drive that took 4 hours involving multiple accidents, thank God we weren't involved in any of them, but happy to report that Ruprecht's oil temp never got above 190ish degrees…..all for a trip that usually takes well under two hours, and that's on backroads.

To continue coverage of Monterey Car Week as promised, here's a cross section of random images from all the various events we attended to set the tone and to create a framework of "homeless" photos of all the varied aspects of the whole week and special moments, cars - both old and never-seen-before new, people, sights and to establish the atmosphere for the more organized presentation of photos from specific individual events, after I get all the images processed in the next few days.

My schedule changed slightly from that described at the beginning of the thread - I did not attend the Carmel Mission event, but I will fullfill my promise of coverage of all the other events in the following pages.

Starting with a snap of what I was told is the first La Ferrari in the US, discreetly tucked away to keep away the unwashed who only ever ask two questions……..."how fast will it go", and " how much does it cost", then a Ferrrari 375MM, a most uncharacteristic subject for the Mecum Auction folks to be displaying & trying to sell…..the 'handler' must have stalled the motor half a dozen times trying to stage the car, and #3, which captures my personal highlight of the entire week, when I was fortunate enough to run across and chat with Sir Jackie Stewart and his son Paul ( who managed the family's F1 Team back in the '90s ) at the Pebble Beach Tour stop on Ocean Avenue, where they were tending to Paul's splendid & rare '67 Ferrari 275 GTB/4.

Thanks for looking, and enjoy
    JZG
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 08-22-2014 at 03:32 PM.
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

…..and more

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."

More still.

Photo #3 is not just a gratuitous shot of various backsides, it's the crowd that gathered when they heard Bruce Canepa driving a 917K to its assigned spot on Ocean Ave. on Tuesday AM to stage it for the "Cars-on-the-Avenue" Concours…….the bluish oil haze from the mighty 12 cylinder still hanging in the air.

The final set for now……..will be back to continue shortly.

Shot #1 is of John Gray's beautiful '70 911 in Metallic Green. I found it amusing that the placards placed in the windshields of cars whose owners identified themselves as R Gruppe members in the "Cars-on-the-Avenue" Concours referred to the R Gruppe as " a quasi-underground organization "…….almost sounds as if they were talking about terrorists, but then again, perhaps that description isn't altogether inappropriate.

Shot #2……….Old guard vs. New - Patrick Long (left) and Hurley Haywood.

#3, an "all-new & redesigned " '15 Mustang turned on its side to show what lies underneath - seems to me pretty much like every other Mustang from recent years.

JZG
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 08-19-2014 at 07:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Z Goriup View Post
    seems to me pretty much like every other Mustang from recent years.
    Pretty much every other Mustang has lacked a modern multi-link independent rear suspension like the one that the 2015 was laid on its side to display...

Keep 'em coming!

-- David (from the Peanut Gallery)

Wow, I didn't know Hurley Haywood was that short, or maybe Pat grew a few inches.

The Mustang has an independent rear suspension for the first time other than the SVT Cobra from 10 or so years ago.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

David & Max, et al, that's what carefully calculated snobbery and phony elitism will get you every time….acute embarrassment - to be completely honest, I never even noticed it had IRS while I was standing there waiting for a clear shot of the whole thing. Now I realize why so many seemed genuinely excited and animated as they were studying and discussing the display.

Sorry.

JZG

I hear this newfangled Independent Rear Suspension thing may catch on!
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

thx for sharing. btw love the Woodie.
    Registry member No.773