Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Reference: 380MM steering wheels - THE TRUTH

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    A genuine 1970 914/6 leather covered steering wheel?

Thanks for the picture.
    I would welcome any additions to my post.
    Now, please tell me what it is.

Regards

Jim
    I was hoping you would know... Bought it from Don at Porsport a few years back.
    Stefan Josef Koch
    RGruppe #194/SRegistry #1063
    1969 Porsche 911E, Light Ivory (38 years and counting)
    2015 Porsche Cayman S
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 1973 BMW R75/5

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools." -E. Hemingway

803.10 is the core for an ST/RSR/914-6GT "Thick Grip" wheel (often called double-wrap)
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Here are some pics of my original RSR wheel (Thanks to Ron at Aase Sales)

Notice that it was a hard plastic wheel, covered in black felt and then a thin cover of cotton before the leather was applied.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Quote Originally Posted by Cornpanzer View Post
    803.10 is the core for an ST/RSR/914-6GT "Thick Grip" wheel (often called double-wrap)
    Cool! Lets keep adding to this thread.

Ciao

Jim

Couple of pics more... I removed the cancel ring.

Attachment 254879
    Attachment 254880
    Attachment 254881
    Stefan Josef Koch
    RGruppe #194/SRegistry #1063
    1969 Porsche 911E, Light Ivory (38 years and counting)
    2015 Porsche Cayman S
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 1973 BMW R75/5

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools." -E. Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Bummler View Post
    Couple of pics more... I removed the cancel ring.

Attachment 254879
    Attachment 254880
    Attachment 254881
    Please post a picture of the rim and maybe one of the whole wheel

Dumb question, but is it possible to drill the rivets and remove the hub from a later wheel to install an earlier hub that will bolt on to an early 911 without modification? I ask because I've purchased a nice leather wrapped 380mm wheel but it turned out to be a later version. I listed it for sale here in case somebody else might be able to use it as is but I'd really like to keep it and install it in my car. I wanted it to fit correctly however and I'm thinking a hub swap would be the only way it might. Does anybody know if this project is possible?

While on these wheels, any idea where to find a 911 extended hub? It appears they are pretty hard to find unless somebody here has a stash of them laying around. I don't think anybody produces an after market one that looks factory.

Stretch

Hi Stretch.
    First, yes it is possible to replace the hub.
    Second, our own Cornpanzer has previously produced a reproduction of the extended hub. An old thread can be found here:
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ers-(May-2011)

OR.. you can buy a fully assembled extended hub 380mm wheel from Zuffenhaus.
    https://www.zuffenhaus.us/cgi-bin/co...action&key=103
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch32 View Post
    Dumb question, but is it possible to drill the rivets and remove the hub from a later wheel to install an earlier hub that will bolt on to an early 911 without modification? I ask because I've purchased a nice leather wrapped 380mm wheel but it turned out to be a later version. I listed it for sale here in case somebody else might be able to use it as is but I'd really like to keep it and install it in my car. I wanted it to fit correctly however and I'm thinking a hub swap would be the only way it might. Does anybody know if this project is possible?

While on these wheels, any idea where to find a 911 extended hub? It appears they are pretty hard to find unless somebody here has a stash of them laying around. I don't think anybody produces an after market one that looks factory.

Stretch
    Stretch

I think you would be better off selling your wheel and looking for a proper 380MM wheel to restore. Just my opinion and you know what those are worth.
    Extended hub wheel? Do you mean one like this? Those are very rare and I don't have a clue where you would find one.

Regards

Jim

I looked at the Zuffenhaus wheels and they're pretty nice. I've also seen Cornpanzer's hub extension but unfortunately they are NLA at this point. My real problem is I paid a fair amount for the wheel I've got thinking it was what I needed and I'm pretty sure I won't get my money back out of it. Because of this I thought I'd try and use it if possible. Ill probably just buy the Zuffenhaus wheel and do what I can to sell the one I've got. Its listed here in the for sale section but does anybody know what it's actually worth so I can sell it? Sorry to hijack the thread but thanks for the help,

Stretch