Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Found some good red bordered decals

Alternator one goes on far left, the tire decal and the oil level one are flipped.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thanks

Richard

I thought the list on Ake's page (Ake = 'the Swedish guy) of which decal goes where is quite good. Listed according to years too - starts 65-68 T/E and runs to 73-80 T, E, S, RS. Can't guarantee if it's a 100% correct - but used his list for my cars.

http://www.skaraborgsflyg.com/dekal/eng_dekal.html

Great guy to do business with, too.
    '70 E Coupe Pastel Blue
    '73 S Targa Gold Metallic
    Registry #2890

There was a change in RS rear tyre pressures rising from 2.0 to 2.4 atm in 7 May 1973 -- pretty sure ( all or some ) of the earliest RS had 2.0 and 2.0 on sticker up to that point . Roughly speaking May production are series 3 RS a form around vin # 1200> IIRC.

However all is not cut and dried becase ...

Below is decal said to be from original RS 06xx was posted by Andrea in another thread on this forum:

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 336
Size:  80.2 KB

Whereas this is Brian's sticker from his earlier in sequence RS that is 04xx shown in same thread - it is different in a number of ways including rear pressure.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 306
Size:  64.7 KB

(Trust it is ok to copy these pics here for ease of comparison -- these images are already shared elsewhere on this board in a tread about correctness of stickers)

We know that due to complexities of production of early RS these cars weren't exactly chronological but this seems the wrong way around and in any vent both examples precede 7 May rear tyre pressure change.

Are geographic market stickers were at play? Maybe one is not original sticker on a car over for decades old?

Suspect both cars were delivered before the May pressure change -- could one be a dilligent Swiss sticker retrofit to align with recommended increased pressure -- applied during a service?

Also it is well known the earliest RS were all weighed at the town scale with deliberately smaller tyres so when exactly in the two step assembly homologation build then conversion orders was the tyre decal actually applied. The the final tyre designation would have presumably have been a function of each cars conversion order specification even though majority by far would have gone on to the 185 70 and 215 60 x15 rather than the rare few that kept the unusually small homologation tyres that the factory used to game the weighing-scale or go on the racing Dunlops if a M491 conversion.

Another running change detail people might get wrong on decals if not using original RS cars as reference to ...errm ...clarify.

Go figure?
    Last edited by 911MRP; 04-19-2016 at 12:54 PM.

Could the 2.0 atü back and front be a reproduction? It's the only sticker I've seen where tire pressure back and front are equal - wich would be unusual not only for Porsche but can't think of any car I ever had where tire pressure for front and back tires was the same.
    '70 E Coupe Pastel Blue
    '73 S Targa Gold Metallic
    Registry #2890

I can't speak for the provenance of cars/stickers shown above as examples because they are pictures copied from other posters who'd previously shared them on forum to help inform the earlier repro decal discussions ....but it is a "running change fact" that the MY 73 RS rear tyre pressure was increased from 2.0 to 2.4 atm in 7 May 1973 --at least according to very respected source on that model the Carrera RS Book.

The two images of decals I've duplicated to allow comparison can be found in their original context from original posters (click the link to that previous decal thread in my earlier post).

Accepting the respected RS Book is right about rear 0.4 increase would it be plausible the tyre pressure sticker on all/some RS cars up to that first week of May (~ vin 1220) might show the rear pressure as 2.0 atm accordingly. This was after all the Porsche top of range roadcar circa 150mph car so I would imagine the factory wanted to ensure tyre pressures would be maintained correctly when in service for reasons of safety and performance. Sticker ought to give factory correct information -- right?

Another source: Different editions of the Blue RS driver supplement and its infamous erratum sticker in pg 9 show variously 2.0 and 2.4 atm for rear tyre ....but as far as I'm aware most discussion on identifying genuine examples this blue supplement booklet tend to focus on the car image side graphics, the p9 sticker's wording about the caster spec ....but I don't recall the 0.4 tyre pressure increase change wording being prominent in that age-old authenticating of blue supplement discussion.

The delta, 0.4 atm, is approaching 6 pounds-force per square inch. My presumption is some of this 2.0 to 2.4 atm "noise"that potentially affects tyre decals, blue supplements and their p9 erratum might turn out to be related to the temporary fittment of the smaller tyre combo purely for weighing of those initial 500 (and then next 500 homologation chassis) -- which by May 1973 for approx vin 1200 such temporary tyres would be a non issue because things would have become standard production.

The p9 erratum sticker was bring applied to blue drivers supplements with publication dates earlier than May 73 IIRC. Think the 72/3 tech spec small book edition 1 was printed a bit later so may not help with chronology.

Finally to add more fuel to the fire, this snippet below is the information in a German magazine RS road test of 1973 which does give some info on wheels tyres and their pressures including the smaller combo used for homologation and the "optional equipment" tyres. Figures say 2.2 and 2.4 atu. This press test appears in March issue of the magazine so was obviously published before the May 7th "production running change" to increase rear pressure as stated in the Carrera RS Book?

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  62.5 KB

Late here-- I'll check my vin 02xx car tyre decal and its original English RS blue drivers supplement when I get the chance.

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 04-19-2016 at 05:08 PM.

I get the feeling that Car-bone are making a lot of this stuff.

http://car-bone.pl/tags/porsche-engine-decals/
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

So any consensus on who makes the most accurate?
    Mauricio
    Three Pedal Posse
    Member # 1935

1968 Porsche 912-6 TR Tribute
    1968 Porsche 911 L
    1973 VW Sportsbug
    1974 Porsche 911 S
    1991 Porsche 964 Carrera 2 3.8

"if you see a fork in the road, PICK IT UP!"

member #1515
    The 2.4S also had 2-2.4 tire pressures on 6j front and rear.
    Had never seen the same pressure front and rear, strange. At least not until my 92 Turbo which called for 36psi front and rear.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs