Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 911 with colour 5711

John's car is absolutely stunning and stand-out-from-the-crowd-unique!
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

I'm the guy with the 912 painted 5711 "Orange." As far as I can tell it was a '57-'58 special order color according the the Willhoit Restoration website. I obtained a color card from Willhoit that my painter was able to match in PPG single stage enamel. My car was originally Bahama Yellow, a color I don't particularly care for. I happened upon two 356's painted in 5711 at the Dana Point concours several years ago when I was trying to decide what color to paint the car and immediately knew what it was going to be. I later had the opportunity to photograph my car with one of those cars at the same event two years later. This is with Don Rutherford's C Coupe, one of the few originally ordered in "Orange:"

Unfortunately, this is a color that rarely photographs true to color but it is what attracts the most attention to my car. If you have a car painted this color originally, I would suggest you would not regret going back to it.
    John

1967 912
    1998 Carrera S
    1958 Porsche-Diesel Junior 108

Hi John,

many thanks for comments and photos. I'm currently having a bit of a hard time in deciding what to do with my car. It's been painted signal red (I quess) about 20 yrs ago and still looks very good. Has a couple of minor issues, which are pretty easily tackled, but all in all to the details (original webasto, windshield washerbottle and other bits and pieces) very original. However if I decided to restore it, 5711 will definately be the color of my choice. You're right, in photographs it doesn't look the same as in nature, but I still like it a lot and all in all your car looks absolutely stunning, congrats!

Regards,
    Timo

Finally started restoration of this car and found original paint underneath the door panels.Name:  Maunon kuskin ovi.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  64.2 KB
    Timo

"There's no point living if you can't feel alive"
    - a few 911s & some others
    Early 911S Registry #3206

That color underneath doesn't look much like orange. The plate may say 5711 but to my eyes it looks like Terra Cotta. A 356 color from the 50's. I once had a 58 speedster painted Terra Cotta with black interior. Really nice. You have to see it in person, web photos do not get right.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

Hi Steve!

I agree. Unfortunately lightning conditions were not too great so that might have an impact. However I have ordered a paint sample from Willhoit and after I've received it, I have a chance to compare. Here's a close-up with better light.Name:  Maunon ovi.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  27.4 KB
    Timo

"There's no point living if you can't feel alive"
    - a few 911s & some others
    Early 911S Registry #3206