Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: FS: @dkeng.co.uk - 67S in England

Bildschirmfoto 2014-09-19 um 16.48.49.png
    I hope not to be too picky, but this is not the highest standard.

Bildschirmfoto 2014-09-19 um 16.50.24.png
    Here they used the 'one size fits all' repro seal piece with the indentations in the wrong place for the SWB's. I was struggling with this piece as well and had this modified so they match the front panel design.
    Michael Moenstermann
    Osnabrueck - Germany
    Early 911S member #1052

'While accelerating the tears of emotion have to flow off horizontally to the ears.'
    'Understeer is when you see the tree you are hitting, if you only hear the tree then it was oversteer'.
    'You can't treat a car like a human being - a car needs love'. (all Walter Röhrl)

Oh yes Michael, please be too picky! I have to deal with concourse judges all the time and I'm receptive to critique. Plus, I have to leave "you guys" something to find and take your input as a chance to run our work past the experts. Great learning and info exchange. Bottom line, though, Best of Show at Forest Grove, Legends Class win, Local PCA Best of.... And now $400K+ That speaks for itself

The trim on the knee pad dash is VERY hard to tuck right ad the ends - add used trim to the equation and it is a BITCH. Vinyl always wants to be too fat in that area

The front lip that holds the body to bumper seal only comes as a superseded replacement with the extra drain holes. One must cut up their new replacement panel and fab the no drain version - this way your car will rust prematurely but it will be correct. Hey even Henk got dinged on a 64 with that panel - so what, its still a 64.

Nice job Tim.

Very interesting attention to detail! Love the car.

For me the key to value is originality. My panelbeater modified this panel without cutting and adding material to original spec and I worked on these kneepads a few times, difficult edge but actually no big deal. Porsche would never let a car leave the factory with such a kneepad, so this would be a no go for me at $400K+ because it is quite easy to do it right. $400K+ speaks for the crazyness of the current market. But nevertheless this is an awesome car and congratulations for the excellent work.
    Michael Moenstermann
    Osnabrueck - Germany
    Early 911S member #1052

'While accelerating the tears of emotion have to flow off horizontally to the ears.'
    'Understeer is when you see the tree you are hitting, if you only hear the tree then it was oversteer'.
    'You can't treat a car like a human being - a car needs love'. (all Walter Röhrl)

Michael

Are you not contradicting yourself?

If you think originality is the key to value then this knee pad trim may well be the original piece with almost 50 years of battlescars and is therefore re-fitted in its unrestored condition. You should, as an 'originalist' welcome those indicators of an original piece as a reference to the life it has led and a pointer to the history this car has travelled through. I too much prefer a car that is actually 47 years of age rather than a modern replacement. The problem comes when restoring a car to 'the best example it can be' in deciding which original 'patina' parts are too far past their original best to detract from the overall appearance and ultimately the work quality of those responsible for restoration. It's an agonizing decision what parts to keep and what to replace. Sometimes your hands are tied when the original piece is unusable and there is no exact replacement vi-a-vis the front panel you point out. I have no doubt that a fair bit of this car is not 47 years old but as a tribute to its history one or two pieces which are not perfect but original are an attraction (to me) rather than a distraction. After all, if that mark on the dash trim had been caused by Steve Mcqueen's belt buckle getting in and out of the car I think you might take a different view on it.
    Overall this car has much to commend it (I have only seen the pictures) and as I pointed out on DDk many details often wrong or missing are mostly all present in this example. Whether it is worth all the money is for the buyer to decide. Those pieces he/she are unhappy with can be replaced with new if required and I'm sure negotiations would follow with that in mind. Whether that 'improves' the car will probably divide opinion and that is why totally original cars will always be the holy grail (to some).
    I hope you take all this as comment and not criticism.

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

No, I think not this is a contradiction but I am totally with you. Firstly I think what to expect at $400K+. I personally (I expect no one to agree what follows) would never pay at the current market situation 400+ for a restored 67S regardless of the quality. I would never replace any original item of the interior unless it is beyond repair. What bugs me a bit is that the vinyl of the knee pad seems to be replaced (which is ok when it was beyond repair). In this case it should have been done '$400K+perfect' just attention to detail at this price level. And to be still too picky, this is not a scar or tear it is just not fitted the way it should be. I don't want to offend the restorer/seller here, these details I mentioned are too minor for that compared to the quality of the overall work. For me originality is the holy grail as well and I love 'patina' even if these parts are no longer perfect. But there is nothing wrong with it if you rather want these parts restored or replaced.
    Michael Moenstermann
    Osnabrueck - Germany
    Early 911S member #1052

I think then that we broadly agree with each other, bravo!

So, Michael, at what price point do YOU think we are at for a restored 67S to a reasonable standard, matching numbers?

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    Early S reg. #681

Mike,
    I would say 250-300K USD, the 400+ category only for 'holy grail' 100% original paint cars, compare the recent auction results.

Off topic: As a Scotsman you can be really proud of the referendum and your country. A masterpiece of democracy where many can learn from.

Michael
    Michael Moenstermann
    Osnabrueck - Germany
    Early 911S member #1052

Thanks Michael,

It's more complicated in Scotland than you think. However, this is not the place to discuss. It's still a wonderful place to live. Interestingly, I am not a Scot but English (having lived in Scotland since I was 18 years of age) and I got a vote in the referendum.
    My two grown up daughters are Scottish but now live in London and they didn't get a vote.

So, the price for a nice 67S is currently about £150000 to £185000 (converting to Scottish pounds) in your opinion. Things have moved forward quite a bit then in the last few months.

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    Early S reg. #681