Page 35 of 86 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585 ... LastLast

Thread: '77 & '75 Turbo Look 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by pu911rsr View Post
    Gib,

looks like a fire system pull to me.

Phil
    Phil,

You may be right, but it seems an inconvenient location to connect to a fire system. This location feeds directly into the front trunk area and offers a straight shot to the battery via a cable. It would seem better to locate a fire system actuator, whether mechanical or electrical under the dash so the wiring or a cable can be threaded more easily through the tunnel.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

keith
    '75 RS/RSR-look | '73 CB750 | '70 TD250B

r gruppe # 436

Keith,

I found one or maybe 2 cars on the pbase site (can't remember now) http://www.pbase.com/slidevalve911rs...s_factory_cars that had this knob, and one that seemed to have a plug in a hole in that location. There was one with some toggle switches on the lower dash left of the steering wheel, and one with a red handle knob below the dash, which was most likely for a fire system. (the site doesn't allow downloading pics)

I have not seen one 3.0 RS with standard 74 door panels like the pic you posted. It seems a little ridiculous to leave off a glove box door and mount the heavy door panel.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

This red 3.0 RS was raced in Europe until 1978 in Group 3 competition, and won 10 races, finished 2nd in 9, and 3rd in 6. It has the pull knob installed, plus hood and rear lid hold-down pins, but otherwise appears like the standard interior for a 3.0 RS.

Since this car was raced, a battery kill switch would have been required...and I will bet the pull knob was connected to a cable which operated a battery kill switch, which killed the ignition.

Edit: I found another site with pics of this car which showed the front trunk...with a battery kill switch as shown in the last pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Quote Originally Posted by letsrollbabe View Post
    I have not seen one 3.0 RS with standard 74 door panels like the pic you posted. It seems a little ridiculous to leave off a glove box door and mount the heavy door panel.
    Door panels are interesting - but not so interesting as G-chassis seat mounts welded on top of an F tunnel.
    keith

r gruppe # 436

This red 3.0 RS was raced in Europe until 1978 in Group 3 competition, and won 10 races, finished 2nd in 9, and 3rd in 6. It has the pull knob installed, plus hood and rear lid hold-down pins, but otherwise appears like the standard interior for a 3.0 RS.

Since this car was raced, a battery kill switch would have been required...and I will bet the pull knob was connected to a cable which operated a battery kill switch, which killed the ignition.

Edit: I found another site with pics of this car which showed the front trunk...with a battery kill switch as shown in the last pic.
    well that IS interesting - I wonder why they didn't use the Bosch switch in the dash speaker like the IROC RSRs?

Donohue-RSR-284.jpg

Spotted911RSR_IROC_01-L.jpg
    keith

r gruppe # 436

Quote Originally Posted by sithot View Post
    Keith:

Side by side.

Tom
    Tom, sorry for the delay; here are the tanks mounted (neither of the plastic tanks are installed with with seals in these photos, by the way):

Knuckle-dragging 85L tank (the one I designed a bitchin skidplate for:

85L tank.jpg

110L RSR tank:

110L tank.jpg

and in the interest of comparison, the stock steel tank (this one has a tank seal):

stock tank.jpg

85L is significantly lower than the other tanks, and the others are virtually identical, depth-wise.
    keith

r gruppe # 436

Quote Originally Posted by keith View Post
    well that IS interesting - I wonder why they didn't use the Bosch switch in the dash speaker like the IROC RSRs?

Donohue-RSR-284.jpg

Spotted911RSR_IROC_01-L.jpg

Keith,

The IROC cars were intended only for the track and didn't have a speaker behind that grill cover, and it might be that since the 3.0 RSs were street rides...at least that was an option for them...maybe they had a speaker under the cover so a guy could have a radio , leaving no room for the Bosch switch. Never have seen a pic of one with a radio though...

Drove the 77 3.0 WB today...first 911 drive since the knee replacement surgery 5 weeks ago. It was inspiring feeling the thrust and listening to the unmistakable sound of a flat six again.

I drove out from my home which is surrounded by cultivated land, where Arizona farmers are working overtime to get their fields planted in this prime growing season...with lots of warm sun, rich soil, and plenty of water. We love this time of year in AZ.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Keith,

The IROC cars were intended only for the track and didn't have a speaker behind that grill cover, and it might be that since the 3.0 RSs were street rides...at least that was an option for them...maybe they had a speaker under the cover so a guy could have a radio , leaving no room for the Bosch switch. Never have seen a pic of one with a radio though...
    We're both thinking the dash mounted pull-switch on the 2 RS's we've been discussing is a non-factory modification, right? - if so, curious that the factory method (ala '73 RSR/'74 IROC) wasn't mimicked...?

Minutiae, I know, but interesting nonetheless.
    keith

r gruppe # 436

Keith,

I wouldn't bet against the pull switch being a factory installed device. This was the way they did it for early STs, so there was a precedent for mounting it there. It appears there were several 3.0 RSs that had the white knob on the dash, plus one I saw on the pbase site that had a hole in that area plugged. It does seem odd that they wouldn't have used the Bosch speaker mounted switch if a customer wanted a battery kill feature, but maybe there was a good reason they went with the pull knob version. It would have been simpler to add than the Bosch speaker switch. We need Jurgen Barth or someone who was there in the day to tell us why the pull knob was installed on a couple of cars.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17