Page 63 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast

Thread: '77 & '75 Turbo Look 3.0

Gib, I continue to follow this thread with interest. Compared with the 2.7 RS's there is little discussion on the 3 liter cars which is a shame. One point you made I wanted to expand on a little. As you said, no two cars were probably identical and that adds to the interest. My former car, #9027, was delivered with a full Touring interior. The work was done at Weissach and I had the invoice for over 10,000,00! Hard to imagine. It was later returned to Lightweight spec. I came across these old photos the other day.

Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mark,

It would be neat to see some pics of your former 3.0 RS with the touring interior, particularly which seats were used. The white with red wheels example (9109) that 928cs posted a link to had the stock 74 door panels, with door tops, plus a glove box door. I wonder if any came with an IROC style engine using twin plugs with high butterfly induction...it seems at least a few of them might have.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

When I got the car there was a large box of interior bits that came with it so I had a pretty good idea how it was trimmed. The interior and carpets were blue/black. John Starkey's book notes that the interior was 73RS Touring spec. but I recall pieces were G series. Unlike 109, 27 had rear seats, standard carpets and electric windows. If you have Starkey's book he has the detail information for 27 and 37 switched. The seats that were in it when I got it were a Recaro LS type. I am nearly certain that they did not have a Recaro emblem on the seat back which led me to believe they were Factory installed rather than aftermarket. It does not appear that the trunk area was finished which was a little surprising given the Touring interior. The fuel pumps were mounted in the storage box but the lid was still cut as most were mounted on the deck. There were no snaps for a trunk carpet. Also interesting that Porsche supposedly ran out of Glaverbel rear quarters during the third series 73RS Lightweights yet they apparently saved enough for the 74 RS/RSR's. I do not recall any twin plug 3.0 RS's but nothing would surprise me.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
    Gib, I continue to follow this thread with interest. Compared with the 2.7 RS's there is little discussion on the 3 liter cars which is a shame. One point you made I wanted to expand on a little. As you said, no two cars were probably identical and that adds to the interest. My former car, #9027, was delivered with a full Touring interior. The work was done at Weissach and I had the invoice for over 10,000,00! Hard to imagine. It was later returned to Lightweight spec. I came across these old photos the other day.

Mark
    Mark,

it appears your car did not have a roll bar, and 109 didn't either. But maybe it is just missing in the pics. Also interesting that your car didn't have head rests (after being returned to light weight form), which seems out of place for a street or track purposed 911 in '74. Which seat belt mounting configuration did it have ...shoulder belts anchored in the parcel shelf or the standard 3 point retractable? Neither is apparent in your pic.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

The car did not have a roll bar. The seat belts were standard with retractable shoulder belts mounted on the parcel shelf. I was fortunate to have a spare adjustable passenger seat. Both the fixed back and adjustable back seats were available with or without headrests. I looked for an original drivers seat for years. They are very rare, only used in the RS 3.0 and 2.8 RSR's. I finally gave up and asked Nate Cantwell to build me one. Years later I found this one, still with its original cover. The ones I have seen do not have headrests.

Almost forgot... The standard spec., if there was such a thing, had the RS 3.0 delivered with the drivers seat mounted on the passenger side and the smaller adjustable back seat on the drivers side. I can not imagine anyone leaving it like that. Here is the seats other application in the 2.8 RSR. But the passenger seat is fixed back rather than adjustable.

Mark,

So your car had parcel shelf anchored shoulder belts (reel type?), but did it have lap belts with/without shoulder cross belt with tunnel receiver as the standard 911s had? It seems with a 73 touring interior it would have had the B pillar anchored cross belt.

Here are pics of the chartreuse RS with no head rest seats with Repa shoulder straps, but no way to hold them in place. The Hesketh/Hunt RHD RS had the stock center tunnel mounted receivers, and what appears to be lap belts and head rests. The factory 'demonstration 3.0 RS' appears to have a 73 style red-button release belts with the stock across the body belt...but can't see if there were head rests. Also shown is a RHD with what appears to be the stock belts (cross shoulder belt) hanging from the B pillar. These pics confirm there were different configurations depending on a customer's preference, and maybe to fit the rules for the country of use.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Quote Originally Posted by letsrollbabe View Post
    Keith,

You asked about sway bar mount reinforcing on these cars in another thread...here is a pic from a red 3.0 RS that isn't a good close up, but does show it somewhat. My passenger side factory mount is reinforced with a welded steel piece.
    That reinforcement looks like a battery foot clamp, no?
    keith
    '75 RS/RSR-look | '73 CB750 | '70 TD250B

r gruppe # 436

Boy, those are some good photos, thanks. Yes, 27 had the reel cartridge for the shoulder belts mounted on the parcel shelf. The belts were just like your third photo of the demonstrator. You can just make out how the shoulder belt loop attaches to the lap belt. I am fairly certain that the demonstrator (#25) did not have headrests. Do you know when that photo was taken? The last time I saw it it was painted red and looking very sad.

The Hesketh/Hunt car (#99) is different too. In its early years it had more of a Touring interior. The electric windows and door speaker remain but it had door caps and Recaro LS style seats if I recall correctly. Do you know when that photo was taken?

Here is a photo of 25 from Jerry Slonigers article in Road Test magazine 12/74. I do not see any headrests. It was the best one I could find.

As you said, these cars were obviously configured differently depending on country and customer requirements.

#9025 looks good, now:
    http://www.janluehn.com/cars/1974-porsche-911-30-rs

And it still doesn't have headrests.