Page 1 of 85 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: '77 & '75 Turbo Look 3.0

'77 & '75 Turbo Look 3.0

I just purchased a 77 911 with Turbo flares in Sahara Beige with cork interior that is really getting my driving attention lately. This car has a 78 3.0L engine with large intake ports (39 mm) small 226 mm fan, large CIS intake runners...essentially the same CIS engine spec and cam timing as the Carrera 3.0 which was rated at 200 hp with restricted gov't exhaust system. Now with the new SSIs, the engine feels like at least 215-220 hp.

This is the car Porsche should have offered in 77...a normally aspirated Turbo Look version of the Carrera 3.0...like they finally offered in 84. It would have cut into sales of the Turbo Carrera and C3.0, but it would have been a good selling version I think. With long hoods going bonkers in value, these mid 70s 911s now are the most affordable cars out there, and if you find a clean, non-abused one, they can be a real bargain. And they are lighter and feel slightly more early period than SCs and 3.2 Carreras, which makes them have even more appeal for me.

I bought the car because I have always liked the look of the early Turbos with the beautiful non-intercooler tail, and this car has an almost new looking cork interior. It came with a late model Turbo tail and 8+9.5 x 16 Fuchs built by Harvey. I have replaced the late tail with a factory early tail, removed all the emission equipment and non factory AC (approx. 50-60 lbs), installed SSIs, new axles, H-1s, and turbo tie rods. The previous owner had gone through the brakes, new shocks, new rubber bushings all around, new fuel pump, and had Harvey polish the beautiful custom Fuchs. I will get the tail and rear bumper painted after plugging the holes from the large bumperettes to make way for the narrow euros. The wheels will get the 'Bob Tilton' scotch brite brushed finish treatment to calm them down some.

I had to replace an old Permatune box with one of Kurt Donohoe's new digital Bosch CDI boxes because the Permatune was failing, but now the engine starts and runs like a new engine. It has made me appreciate how good a 3.0 CIS engine can perform...not the early throttle response of an MFI or carbed motor, but when it gets to 3k, it really pulls hard and sings a wonderful song. I keep driving this car almost every morning (nice and cool then), and it gets more interesting to me with each drive. The wide body stance really helps to make it handle, and with the stock T and sway bars, it is a comfortable touring ride...and the feeling I get is of a truly early period 911. Not as sophisticated as the 964, but lighter than my previous 3.2 Turbo Look cars...and quieter/softer than the Light Yellow ST. So it really fits right in between the 72 ST and 964 in my stable.

Here are some pics as it came and with the changes so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chuck Miller; 02-13-2015 at 12:47 PM.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Gib,

I couldn't agree with you more. I believe these big port 78-79 3.0 motors are some of the best the factory offered, great power delivery, great reliability, and when geared properly, (and with some minor tweaking like the exhaust) they really do drive incredibly well. The CIS is reliably, predictable and easy to work on.
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

Congrats Gib........ real good look'n car
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Beautiful car Gib, my first Porsche was 79 911 SC, great car.
    Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658

Quote Originally Posted by sonett43 View Post
    Gib,

I couldn't agree with you more. I believe these big port 78-79 3.0 motors are some of the best the factory offered, great power delivery, great reliability, and when geared properly, (and with some minor tweaking like the exhaust) they really do drive incredibly well. The CIS is reliably, predictable and easy to work on.
    I have to admit that I am also tempted to put Webers (or PMOs) on the engine or MFI to take advantage of the big ports and strong aluminum case. 250 hp is attainable with a decently done 3.0, and possible with single plugs as recently shown in the ESSES article on Steve Baker's beautiful 73T with a 3.0 PMO engine making 251 hp at 7500 with 9.8 CR, and DC60 cams. Jeff Higgins has achieved 250 hp with his MFI 3.0 engine (with twin plugs), and Rick Cabell converted a 3.0 to MFI in a gorgeous blue C3.0 a few years back which has also stirred my thoughts in that direction. Porsche was still using MFI on late 70s rally cars, and on the early 80s SCRS rally cars, so it would still be appropriate to use it on a 77 wide bodied car. And, there was the Sahara Beige 74 IROC car with HB MFI...

So, as usual for any of my cars, evolution is always in the plan and provides creative entertainment from day one in owning a NON STOCK 70s 911...even if it is a 'bumper car'.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

I recently sold a 79 SC with a carbed 3.3, great motor, huge step up from stock 3.0 in performance. Of course you give up the drivability and gas mileage of the CIS.
    Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658

Gib, you know you want an RS 3.0 ! Its the ideal platform save for the dash air vents. I have been wanting to do a car ala Steven Harris Oramge beast. Congrats !

Quote Originally Posted by JBQuick View Post
    Gib, you know you want an RS 3.0 ! Its the ideal platform save for the dash air vents. I have been wanting to do a car ala Steven Harris Oramge beast. Congrats !
    Yes, that is true...I have wanted a 3.0 RS for many years. i came close several times turning one of my 4 3.2 Turbo Look cars into one since it had the body and suspension. But, they had sunroofs, as does this 77...and the cork interior is just so pretty and pristine that I couldn't bring myself to rip it out for a simple black RS interior. Besides, I have found a pair of early sport seats that I am having recovered in cork (or saddle) leather with Tartan inserts. They will look like the pic below, but with the Tartan shown with the sugar scoop.

My thoughts are that this could be a car that exceeds the 76/77 Turbo in acceleration, driveability, and with a 5 speed tranny that gives a lot more flexibility to various driving scenarios....but looks just as cool.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

I'd be curious to check how that engine would behave with full EFI with individual throttle bodies conversion ...
    Member #2768 http://www.no-speedlimit.it

• 1973 Biancaneve - 911 2.4 S/F Ivory
    • 1977 Fiona - 911 Carrera 3.0 Oak Green Metallic
    • 1993 Bellatrix - 964 Turbo 3.6 Black

I keep a registry of 1972 and 1973 2.4 S coupé chassis. Infos always welcome!!!

Instagram
    Twitter

Gib, great minds think alike, and I try to tell myself that I am in the same zip code that you are. You clearly have executed in much greater originality and detail than I have, but often similar thoughts.

So here is my six year old DE car, a '78SC in Sahara Beige with stock CIS engine on SSI's and an early muffler. I just could not resist the allure of tartan in these mid year cars, and it looks like our color scheme is similar. Upgraded suspension, but still rubber bushings so very streetable. The car is a pleasure and very trouble-free with the CIS, but I too keep thinking about more power and throttle response.

This is the DE car that I bought from California when I met you for lunch and gave your red turbo-look a test drive. In many ways I wish that I had bought your excellent turbo-look, but couldn't bring myself to stripping and tracking such an original, low mileage car.

Best,

Bob

image.jpg

image.jpg
    1973 911E - Viper Green
    1973 911T - Light Ivory, becoming Glacier Blue RS