Page 14 of 86 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Thread: '77 & '75 Turbo Look 3.0

Here are more shots of the rear flares tacked on, plus one showing the the driver front flare in place to begin some cuts. The differences in the flare shapes from the turbo are very noticeable. Also, a pic of how the latch brace is glassed into the lid. There were many different ways this was done with the early whale tails.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by letsrollbabe; 04-24-2015 at 07:02 PM.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Gburner
    What color paint and interior are you considering?

Quote Originally Posted by Gburner View Post
    What color paint and interior are you considering?

I will stay with Guards Red. There were 3 or 4 carrera 3.0 RSs in Guards Red, and I like the color...and you don't see many of these cars in GR...mostly white or Mexico Blue. Not sure about the color of the 'Carrera' stripe and wheels. The gold wheels have grown on me...very 70s look...and most of the C 3.0 RSs had the gold accents...Mex.Blue, White, Light Yellow, Black, and GR.

The interior will come close to duplicating the original cars...RSR type of Perlon, RS door panels, roll bar, and seats are somewhat undecided for now. I may go with a 74 Recaro Rallye II for the driver and an ST or R done in fabric for passenger side. The original cars had the turn-buckle RSR seats, but I am not crazy about them. The neat thing about the Carrera 3.0 RS is that it was really a street car, so it should be a very light, usable, and fun driver.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Wow Gib, my first thought of gold on GR was it might not work, but those photos prove that wrong! That will be stunning.
    65 356SC Dolphin Gray
    66 912 Green
    69 911E Tangerine
    72 911T GP White
    72 911T Aubergine
    72 911T Lilac
    72 911S Black (voodoo)
    86 911 GP White Targa (now sons)
    90 964C4 Black Targa
    94 964C2 Black Coupe
    08 GT3 Speed Yellow

Bob,

I think maybe the factory was focusing on the 'gold chain crowd' so prevalent in the mid 70s when they used gold wheel centers and script on the Carrera 3.0 RSs because there was never a 911 model version with so much GOLD.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Some of my favorite pics of a 3.0 RS are these of the 'James Hunt' car, (0099), which was given to him when the Formula One team owner Lord Hesketh dropped his team for 74. Hunt drove the car around Europe for awhile, but changed the seats to more comfortable Recaros...not sure which ones. These pics came from the Porsche Six Cylinder Supercars book. These cars were the last of the normally aspirated 'super cars' of the 70s built by Porsche. They can be considered 'Sports Purpose' cars in every respect. They were built using specs from the 73 RSRs, with the exception of the wheels and torsion bars (stock front, 26 mm rear), and of course the engine. They are the last road legal 'sports purpose' cars until the 20 SCRS rally cars of '83 were built, which I think were road legal. That is why I have always wanted to build one of these cars...they are a true 'R Gruppe' 911 built by the factory.

The larger rubber tail was supplied with these cars, along with the narrower version because most countries did not allow the wider tail on road cars. According to the article in the book, this car is Canary Yellow.
    Last edited by letsrollbabe; 05-02-2015 at 01:57 PM.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

The front flares are on... all the welds still need some smoothing but the look is established now. The RSR flares really change the look from the Turbo flares. The shoulders, the tapers, the opening shape, the abruptness the flare emerges from the body all contribute to transforming the body to the early 70s. Bumper fitting is the next step. Both bumpers will need to be worked because the early RSR flares taper in toward the body at front and back, whereas the outside edges of the Turbo flares stay mostly parallel to the body as they approach the bumpers.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Here are some pics of the seat I plan to use for the driver...a Recaro Rallye II, first introduced in 74 (I believe). It is a very comfortable and supportive seat which tilts forward for access to the rear seat area, and with a back angle-adjustment knob. The passenger seat will most likely be an ST seat in nylon/perlon.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Gib,

What will you use for a rear spoiler/rubber. This will be a stunning car when complete, great project. BTW- my plan is to stop by on my way home with light yellow turbo when complete.

Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658

Quote Originally Posted by pu911rsr View Post
    Gib,

What will you use for a rear spoiler/rubber. This will be a stunning car when complete, great project. BTW- my plan is to stop by on my way home with light yellow turbo when complete.

Phil
    Phil,

I would love to see that Light Yellow Turbo!

I will be using a factory tail that I sourced from Jim at EASY, and I have a perfect factory rubber lip for it. The tail has the license light cutouts, which I feel came from left over steel frame stock from the long hood cars. I made some blank plates to mount beneath the cutouts using my original aluminum factory lid on the LY ST as a template for the mounting holes. When I took those plates to the shop where the work is being done on the 3.0 RS to see how it fits on the red factory tail...the alignment of the mounting holes was a perfect match.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17