Page 10 of 86 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: '77 & '75 Turbo Look 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Gburner View Post
    True as in the proper factory stock look, and my 86 turbo look complete restoration is all 100% stock.
    But I'd be bored if I went to a 911 show and saw 100 turbo looks all stock, just different colors.

It's always the outlaws that get my attention and a second look.

I'm with you on that...5 minutes looking at stock 911s or 930s, hours pouring over R Gruppe hot rods at any event...especially in the parking lots.

Biancaneve,

C 3.0 cars were not legal in the US as a production car in '76, '77. But quite a few were brought in under the 'once in a lifetime import rule' from the 80s. Rick Cabell in the New England area restored many under this provision. Here is one I restored a couple of years ago but have since sold.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Here is the 74/75 mirror mounted. The shot shows the smaller 72/73 mirror on the Toad Hall ST in the background...not intended.

I am working on the front suspension, mounting '80-89 turbo hubs, rotors, calipers which will work with the 8x15 Fuchs at the front. Just realized I will need to buy a turbo grease cap for the larger hub.... The rear turbo calipers are getting modified to mount on 911 aluminum trailing arms and and work with the 9x15 Fuchs.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

very cool Gib.....
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

Did a mock up of the turbo caliper with a late turbo hub and new Zimmerman rotor to see how it was all going to fit on the 75 WB. I had forgotten how massive the turbo rotors are! The rear turbo calipers are being modified by a shop for the 911 aluminum trailing arms, and there will be some further work on the 911 arms to get the rear calipers to fit.

The suspension needs to be cleaned up and rehabbed, and the install of new turbo tie rods, new axles, Mercedes master cylinder, 26 mm rear T-bars, adjustable spring plates, etc. The FG front/rear bumpers, RS style carpet kit, ST style seats, roll bar...all will get installed in my shop. Paint work will require outside help, but these days this is the way I want to do a project. The 3.0 MFI engine case, heads, cylinders, crank, etc are being worked on at Ollie's, and the long block will be built here in AZ by a very experienced engine builder who is also a friend. I keep pics of this red 3.0 RS handy to serve as inspiration.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Just got the rear Turbo calipers back from Rebel Racing where they were machined for mounting on the 3 inch spaced bolt holes on the aluminum 911 trailing arms. The dust backing plate ears needed to be ground off so the calipers will sit down correctly on the mounting platform. Clint at RR did a nice job on the machining, and supplied allen head bolts and aluminum spacers to center the caliper over the turbo rotors. In the initial trial fit it was apparent I hadn't removed enough of the backing plate ears from the arms, but after a couple of tries without the rotor in place, the proper fitment was achieved. Lots of cleaning still ahead, but I wanted to get the Turbo calipers fitted before disassembling the rear suspension for cleanup. The original undercoat is still in very good condition on this 75 911S,

Kevin Roush in Upland, CA provided this very nice set of 79 calipers along with the rear rotors.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Here are some pics of the stripped interior, with TRE's Clubsport2 roll bar just sitting in place. I think I will leave the sound padding in the rear of the tub since it is in such good condition. It is satisfying to strip a car and find things in rust free condition, and just like the factory did things 40 years ago. The cork interior turned out to be leather (except the door card covers), as are the seats so I am planning to keep it for awhile...just because it is so original and in great condition. Lots of fun ahead...
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

So I came home from the LA Lit Show/Swap last night with some fiberglass bumpers... the rear built by GT Racing, and the front from TRE. Went to the shop this morning...both fit pretty well. After about 1.5 hr of doing some fitting and grinding, they are close to a good fit. I also brought home a FG early turbo style tail that will need some serious work to make it fit as it should...more work than the bumpers. Both bumpers still need an attachment bracket to replace the factory shocks. Fun stuff....

(Please ignor all the clutter in my shop....been awhile since I made a serious effort to de-clutter. Also, I am guilty of being a box saver...you never know when you will need one that size. )
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

A nice car is currently for sale, well except the steering wheel on the "wrong" side:
    http://www.classicdriver.com/en/car/...-g/1974/279080

What color is it?

That beautiful 3.0 RS is Mexico Blue...928cs. Love the color.

Well, the slippery slope has begun in earnest....as I began gathering pics from the day of these rare 3.0 RS 'street' 911s, it became clear that they (and the IROC cars) had flares just like the 73 2.8L RSRs with wheel openings that were 'eye-brow shaped' rather than the 'round' openings of the later factory Turbo flares. These RSR flares also were more abrupt in angling out from the body and had a different shaped shoulder. I began thinking about my pursuit of a proper ST clone, and how the period flares really have a dramatic effect on the overall look of a car. So I began searching for proper flares, and found this set of steel factory flares. Chris Nielsen had cut these from a car done in the 80s, and saved them thinking he would use them on a car some day, but last fall he decided to offer them for sale.

I know...it's crazy...and not what I planned when I bought this 75 wide body in the first place. Most guys would not cut beautifully done factory Turbo flares off just to put on a different set of wide body flares. But a lot of guys these days are spending big money chasing a particular 911 vision... from a 3.2/3.6 long hood backdate to a Singer...so that's my story and I'm sticking to it...
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Interesting...... I would have a hard time to cut but......... I see your point.
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"