Page 13 of 86 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: '77 & '75 Turbo Look 3.0

Jim Breazeale, owner of EASY, sold me a very early wing...p/n 930 512 010 00 that was already 'red'. This wing was hit from the rear so the FG needs repairing, as does the metal frame on the bottom of the wing. What is interesting is that this wing appears to be one made with the pre 74 license plate light cut-outs metal frame. The only car using this type of wing in 74 would have been the Carrera 3.0 RS, since it has the 2nd grill opening, which was not used on the 74 Carrera 2.7s that had wings rather than duck tails. It does not have the wiper motor indention in the middle of driver side frame as later Turbo and C3.0 tails have. There is a wonderful thread on Pelican documenting the early tails: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...mentation.html and in that thread the tails with no indented scoop for the wiper motor were made for 75 Turbos.

But what about the Carrera 3.0 RS tails for MY 74? No mention is made in the Pelican thread about these rare cars, but maybe they used left over frames with license light cut-outs on a few of them....who knows? Maybe someone cut out the license light slots to put the tail on a long hood, but if they did, they were very skilled as they are perfectly cut and centered perfectly in the raised rectangular area they are cut into. I will ask the body shop to save this section which has rust and is bent...just because it is a good mystery for discussion.

I also have a factory rubber lip for this in very good condition.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Various Porsche 911 tail options...

Gib...You probably have this technical stuff regarding the part #'s for "up-dating" to the 1974 3.0 RS/Turbo already but just in case....and I couldn't resist to add some "sexiness" to the tail discussion as well.../ Lars...

P.S...Page 7 of the link below at the bottom shows the 1974 RS 3.0 Fiber Glass Tail with one grill and p/n 930.512.010.07 and Polyurethane "lip" p/n 911.512.019.00(same lip for '75 Turbo)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Lars Wikblad...

Early 911 "S" Registry # 527
    "R" Gruppe # 314

Lars,

Thanks for that post...this document appears on the Pelican thread I linked, along with a bunch of great pics guys have posted of various tails. The 911 512 010 07 tail...as you noted is without the secondary grill..and this is documented in pics on the Pelican thread. I think I did see one pic of a white 3.0 RS without the secondary grill, but most have the small grill...which is a different p/n...I think all tails with the secondary grill are 930 512 xxx xx. There are different variations in tails with the same p/n as mine...930 512 010 00, later ones (beginning in 76 I think) had the curved area for the wiper motor.

The document you noted was printed in 82...long after the period we are talking about, and since these tails were made in fairly small numbers by maybe more than one supplier...there are going to be differences over the years...like everything at Porsche. The pics of the black tail attached to this post are the 010 07 tail...which as you noted only refers to the FG/steel frame part...not the polyurethane lip or other small parts that attach.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Listening to an old radio station today I heard this song...seems like it is really good advice for our 'old 911s'...as well as for our 'partners in life...' 'Hang Onto Her Boy With All Your Might' by Boy Howdy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB6Y7WIpwtY
    Last edited by letsrollbabe; 03-31-2015 at 12:50 PM.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Here are some pics of the initial spot welds of the driver side rear flare. Mounting it required some careful cutting of the previously installed turbo flare. As mentioned earlier, the shapes of the turbo and RSR flares are different at many points of the surfaces. So overlaying the RSR flare on top of the turbo flare did not allow a nice tight fit, which complicated the process of making a simultaneous cut of both the existing body and the RSR flare edge to create a proper butt weld match. There is still some shaping work to do at various points along the weld surfaces, but the original RSR flare is beginning to change the look. It gives it a somewhat primitive hand-made body shape.

The torsion bar hole has been hacked out a bit on this side from the original small hole, and will be repaired to match the small hole on the passenger side flare.

A guy has to be pretty crazy to do this...
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

3.0L engine parts

Drove to Ollie's Machine in Lake Havasu City, AZ yesterday to pick up the 3.0L case, crank, heads, cylinders, and rods that were worked by them. The case was in spec with no need for align boring, rods were rebushed, crank magnafluxed, oil path cleaned and mircro polished, and the Carrera cylinders were deglazed and machined on top for a stainless seal to the heads. Here are some pics of one head with polished 40 mm intake/36 mm exhaust ports, which were previously rebuilt with new guides, R&R valves, new springs, etc...with Ollie's machining for twin plugs and MFI injectors. The engine will be a single plug like the original 3.0 RS, but decided to make the heads twin plug...JIC (just in case)

If you have a case at Ollie's, here is a shot of why it takes so long...
    Last edited by letsrollbabe; 04-18-2015 at 01:05 PM.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Gburner
    Gib good looking flare, but many on the S are flare impaired so the kudos will be limited.
    My 3.2 case might be on Ollie's rack somewhere too.
    What rims and tires, width and diameter are you planning for your widebody?
    15 diameter would be best imho.

Yes, I know few here appreciate wide body cars, especially those built after '73. But when thinking about the 74 3.0 RSs, most would agree that a total of 55 versions built of a 3.0L MFI 911 with 73 RSR flares, brakes, coolers, interior, that were street legal makes them pretty special. I like this website more than Pelican for posting projects...it just feels more like 'home' to me, so even though not many care, this is where I live the most.

I have 8+9 x 15 Fuchs from the day that will grace the car...like the original cars used.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Thanks for the updates.

Joe Hartman (JH0524) posted a picture on another thread of his 74 factory ducktail license light cutouts covered with small plates from the factory. His car was made 5th from the last US Carrera in 74 so later in the 74 model year. So even though this is a ducktail, the factory could have used the same frames on a whale tail if they had a bunch left over from the 73 MY lids. It is another example of parts the factory used up, that didn't fit with new MY specs. Maybe my lid had one of those 'old frames that needed to be used up'.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17