Page 22 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast

Thread: '77 & '75 Turbo Look 3.0

Gburner
    Gib would you consider running one of your sports purpose cars at the R Gruppe sports purpose day?
    It would be great to see your masterpiece in action.

Quote Originally Posted by Gburner View Post
    Gib would you consider running one of your sports purpose cars at the R Gruppe sports purpose day?
    It would be great to see your masterpiece in action.
    I won't have the 3.0 RS ready for the R Gruppe Sports Purpose day in 2016, but maybe for 2017. I might drive the 77 turbo-look to next year's Treffen, but it is more a GT car than one for track use. I usually end up trailering my builds to the events because of the distance and desert heat in non-AC cars. I will admit I don't have the 'courage' many R Gruppe guys from the NW have to drive 900 miles in their Sports Purpose cars, flog them at the track, attend Treffen, and then drive 900 miles home. These guys and others like them are real enthusiasts for sure. Maybe I'm just getting a little old.... Spirited short drives are more my speed these days.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Gburner
    Knock it around if an SPD is at a desert track near you.
    Join us take a short drive on the track and help spd stay in the black?
    It's basically just a 9 to noon event
    I use an enclosed trailer too, no big, join us.
    Your TBs will barely show any wear.

Stopped by the paint shop today...I will pick the car up tomorrow. Still some cleanup items to attend to, but mostly finished. The FG hood and rear wing will remain unmounted until I get them home. Lots of fun ahead...
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Got the car home...woo hoo! I loosely fit the hood and wing, but everything seems to fit pretty well. Mounted the rear license lights and reflectors, and stuck the original windshield glass back in...will need new rubber of course, but it makes the car look more finished. I will use clear no-heat rear glass.

The paint shop did a pretty nice job...same shop that did the 72S Martini Tribute, the 72 Kremer ST, a tangerine 73 RS tribute, and the 76 Platinum Metallic Carrera 3.0 covering a span of about 13 years.

Harvey is working on the 8+9x15 Fuchs...2 stage anodizing with gold centers. The 3.0L MFI engine is nearly a completed long block, so things should come together for a test drive this spring (I hope). Getting the painted body home is truly a wonderful Christmas present...I feel blessed.

Edit: The Guards Red looks a little orange in the pics...very overcast day...I should have done some work on the color, but here is one more shot in the shop showing what the GR looks like.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

I know this is a 'long hood' forum, but a few lurkers and posters seem to 'get it' about where mid 70s short hood 911s are headed. Hagerty's top 10 gainers in the Collector Car market shown in a recent AUTOWEEK article has the 74-77 911s gaining 154% in value to top the list. Values were most likely driven mainly by early Turbos and Euro 74 MFI Carreras, but all boats float higher in this market. We are going to see more interest in the middies, SCs, and 3.2 Carreras over the next few years. Get 'um while they are still affordable.

http://autoweek.com/article/classic-...n=awdailydrive
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Your red 3.0 will be really nice

Merry Christmas to all of you, from Le Mans,
    Samuel

Gburner
    Its as Red as Santa's sleigh!
    Looking forward to seeing it at Treffen.
    I'll have an extra helmet in case you change your mind.

The tail is mounted...fits pretty well, considering the factory built this approximately 40 years ago. I mounted small aluminum plates to blank off the license light cutouts, which I think are there because the factory wanted to use up long hood engine frame inventory when they built this early wing. Some 74 Carreras also had license light cutouts on their ducktails. The 3.0 MFI long block saw some progress today, with pistons/cylinders getting mounted.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

We checked the clearances for the JE 10.5 pistons since the heads and cylinders had been slightly machined. The cylinders are 3.2 units with no CE ring seal groove, and needed to be slightly machined (done by Ollies) to make a flat surface for the heads. I was originally planning to do a 3.2 SS engine and wanted the 3.2 cylinders because they didn't have the CE ring groove, which creates a thinner wall when opened to 98 mm for the 3.2 SS. I decided to stay with the 3.0L 95 mm pistons, but Ollies pointed out the tops of the 3.2L cylinders were slightly tapered upward toward the inner wall to form a gasketless seal for the heads from 84-86. The factory used a stainless seal from 87-89 requiring a flat surface on the cylinder tops, which Ollies machined. The sealing surfaces on the heads were machined slightly when they were reconditioned, so the overall clearance for the pistons/heads needed to be checked using the solder method in a dry assembly of #1 and #4.
    Last edited by letsrollbabe; 12-31-2015 at 03:40 PM.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17