Page 23 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast

Thread: '77 & '75 Turbo Look 3.0

The long block is almost finished, still need to time the cams, mount the covers, fit tensioner oil lines, and a few other items. I bought a kit from Supertec to form the MFI drive seal for the 49 mm cam bearings (compared to the 47 mm on the 2.2 ro 2.7 cams) on the 3.0 engines. This kit is well designed and executed to form a seal which should last for years.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Happy New Year!

Yesterday, it was work on the engine at my engine builder's shop. Today, I intended to only work a couple of hours on the body, and then go watch some good college football in the late morning. But as I worked on things, I just kept seeing tasks on the car that I could do fairly easily (or so I thought), and it is satisfying to get something bolted on...and then there is another small step, and another. I closed my shop door at around 4:00 pm (began around 8 am). It always takes longer to complete a task than it seems like it should. Something always needs to be adjusted or worked a little prior to mounting, or it doesn't fit right, or I can't find the right fasteners... if you've worked on one of these projects you know what I mean. It doesn't look like much has been accomplished when I look at these pics though....
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

The hood sits too high at the top on the passenger side as seen in these pics, so has been adjusted. Looking at pics like these help to show some of the details that are not right and need addressing. The turn signal boxes need some adjustment, and that big oil cooler opening is getting attention now as I work out the cooler mounting and routing of the stainless oil lines to the factory hard lines. The rear qtr windows are to be a fixed type as used on the 3.0 RS, not the pop-outs used in 74 MY production. A new black headliner will be installed, and the suspension will be a whole new ballgame. Lots to do yet.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

I've been working on the oil system, beginning with getting the B&B oil cooler mounted so that it fits correctly with the bumper opening. It took way too much time!...but that is way these projects usually go...2-3x more time you think it will take. The stainless hoses have fittings that connect to the factory hard lines, and I wanted to duplicate the factory routing of them through the fender wall.

Not sure why a previous owner punched a hole in the VIN plate, but I will figure a way plug it so it doesn't look so bad...
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

The 3.0L MFI engine is back in my shop now, and I wanted to mock up the fitment of the various parts to make sure they fit before sending some pieces off to get powder coated. The plastic stacks, as used by the factory on the 3.0 RS have 38 mm bottom openings, and the throttle bodies have been opened to 38 mm at their bottoms. The head intake ports are opened to 40 mm. Engine cams are mod S, with more lift and wider lobe centers (102 vs 97 deg) than the stock 'S' cams which were supplied on the original engines. Other engine specs are: JE pistons 10.5, JB Racing twin plug dizzy, and the MFI pump is on its way back from MFI Werks (Mark Jung) with a custom space cam to make approx. 250-260 hp at 7300 rpm. Unlike the 3.0L factory engines, it has 1 5/8" 'European' headers, and the muffler will be a modified factory Leistritz. The fan is 226 mm from a 78 SC, and the twin Bosch coils will be mounted on the shock tower...not on the fan housing.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Gib,

That will be a fantastic motor!

Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658

Hi Gib,

Great build! Where did you get the RSR style flywheel? Do you know how much it weighs?

Thanks,
    Bert Jayasekera
    1970 911T - Tangerine Orange
    Early 911S Registry #494
    R Gruppe #167

Bert,

The flywheel weighs around 7.75 lb, it's chromoly steel as I recall.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Oil cooler is mounted and the opening has a stainless steel grill as used on the 3.0 RS and IROC 911s (supplied by TRE). I took this shot of the rears awhile ago...shows the aero evolution in 2 short years (72-74), from flat lid to whale tail for better handling.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Gib- I am enjoying every second of your build thread! The '74 3.0RS is one of my favorites. You may have mentioned this already, but are you putting a trumbone cooler in the front driver's side wheel well for the trans-cooler? I would love to see how that is set up so I can put it in my mongrel tribute to the '74 RS. Thanks!
    Dave Raab
    O6 R702 ESR1852
    1986 Carrera