Page 24 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast

Thread: '77 & '75 Turbo Look 3.0

Gib,

Some really nice information in the new Ryan Snodgrass book on the aero numbers for the various spoiler wing combinations- I think this information has been posted before.

Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658

Quote Originally Posted by draab29 View Post
    Gib- I am enjoying every second of your build thread! The '74 3.0RS is one of my favorites. You may have mentioned this already, but are you putting a trumbone cooler in the front driver's side wheel well for the trans-cooler? I would love to see how that is set up so I can put it in my mongrel tribute to the '74 RS. Thanks!
    Dave, thanks, and let us see pics of your car, either here or in a separate thread.

I am not planning to use a trans cooler even though the originals had them. Paul Frere explained about the factory thinking with the 3.0 RS...

" As the original intention had been to make only 100 of these cars, for homologation as an 'evolution' of the 2.7 liter model, it was marketed with many components which had been fitted to Carreras modified for racing, but which were not required even for very fast road work (such as the enormously expensive Type 917 racing brakes and a transmission oil cooler, complete with circulating pump)."

So while I am using Turbo brakes, which are close in performance to the 917 brakes, the trans oil cooler system will be absent from my build because it would not enhance the road driving experience...and it is expensive to execute correctly.

Phil,

I have not seen the Ryan Snodgrass book, but I am glad that the IB version of the famous 2.7L MFI 911 is getting its due attention. Paul Frere's Porsche 911 Story posted some of the factory wind tunnel data for the G model Carreras: Total lift at max speed was reduced from 397 lb for a standard 74 911 with no spoilers, to 38 lb with the front rubber spoiler and the rear tail. Also, overall drag was reduced by 2% with the spoilers. The famous ducktail reduced rear end lift from 276 lb (flat lid) to 68 lb, but the 'tea tray' reduced it further to 29 lb (all at top speed, 152 mph I think.) And I really like the look of the early 'tea tray' tail. It is my favorite of all the succeeding factory variations.

The large front FG bumper of the 3.0 RS offers similar aero benefits as the rubber spoiler on the standard G model body, but the wider flares add to the drag which caused the 3.0 RS with a 230 hp 3.0L engine to be no faster at 0-62 mph than the 73 Carrera RS with its 210 hp engine. Still, the wider track, better brakes and better aero features made the 3.0 RS a better handling car than the 73 RS.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Thanks Gib.

Quote Originally Posted by letsrollbabe View Post
    Bert,

The flywheel weighs around 7.75 lb, it's chromoly steel as I recall.
    Bert Jayasekera
    1970 911T - Tangerine Orange
    Early 911S Registry #494
    R Gruppe #167

Mounted the dual brake reservoirs today...just one more step along the path...
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

I was asked to show how the reservoirs are mounted. The bracket is aluminum, and it needed to be set out from the fender wall so that the hood underside will clear the tops of the bottles. It it very rigid and uses the same attachment points to the fender wall as the original reservoir. The band holding the bottles is bendable stainless.

When the suspension comes off for rework the painted camber plates will be removed and replaced with cad plated pieces.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Quote Originally Posted by letsrollbabe View Post
    I was asked to show how the reservoirs are mounted. The bracket is aluminum, and it needed to be set out from the fender wall so that the hood underside will clear the tops of the bottles. It it very rigid and uses the same attachment points to the fender wall as the original reservoir. The band holding the bottles is bendable stainless.

When the suspension comes off for rework the painted camber plates will be removed and replaced with cad plated pieces.
    ^^^^ Very nice
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"

Gib,

Reminded a bit of your garage over the years.

Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658

Phil,

That is a neat shot! I really like those colors...for sure.

UPS brought a nice present today...my MFI pump just restored and calibrated by Mark Jung (MFIwerks.com). It is an 'impressive piece of kit'...really. Mark goes through the pump completely replacing parts as needed. For my application he needed to recalibrate and reshape the 'space cam' to fit the fuel requirements of my 3.0L, 10.5 CR, Mod S cam engine. He measures the fuel output every 500 rpm for the pump up to 4000 rpm (pump speed which is half of engine speed), and from zero to 80 degrees of throttle position. He has done a number of RSR type pumps so uses his previous data to set the fuel delivery. My pump had a '2.4 E' space cam to begin with, so a very small amount of metal was relieved in just the right spots as the space cam position moves rearward with rpm changes and rotates with throttle position. It is tedious work, but it is the only way to get the proper fuel to the injectors based on this engine's set of parameters.

I had removed the cold start thermostat, and Mark made a small diamond plate to set the cold start lever. For more fuel on a cold start, the bolt is backed out of the plate by 2 revolutions, which replicates the cold position of the thermostat. My normal procedure is to back out the bolt, start the engine, and then restore the bolt to full warm position within a couple of minutes. The engine will have the cold start solenoid mounted on the fuel filter which delivers an initial amount of fuel directly on each throttle plate in the factory lines located on the plastic stacks.

I will not be running engine oil through the pump, so the oil entry and exit ports are plugged.

I also took my Bosch MFI injectors to a local diesel shop to get them cleaned and tested, and they all came out very clean and checked for the fuel delivery pressure and pattern.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Nice!
    Looks good Gib.
    65 356SC Dolphin Gray
    66 912 Green
    69 911E Tangerine
    72 911T GP White
    72 911T Aubergine
    72 911T Lilac
    72 911S Black (voodoo)
    86 911 GP White Targa (now sons)
    90 964C4 Black Targa
    94 964C2 Black Coupe
    08 GT3 Speed Yellow

I realized after looking at the pump pics that it didn't have a breather mounted, which is necessary when the pump is closed off from the engine crankcase. Mark has come up with a nice solution for closed pumps, without drilling a hole in the pump body....
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17