Page 3 of 85 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: '77 & '75 Turbo Look 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by larwik View Post
    ...and the 3.0 CIS with the large runners is fantastic...Christian, we live in the wrong zip-code to have a "middie" like this...anything newer that 1975 will have to be smog compliant(maybe even visual)...yes, yes, yes,...I know there are ways around it but sooner or later you gott'a "face the music"...maybe we can move-in with Gib?...No?.../ Lars...
    Lars:

It is true you guys have some limits (boo hoo ) on what you can do with the 76 and 77 cars, but you have an open checkbook opportunity for the 74 and 75 cars. Here are 2 on ebay right now...Freddie Hernandez's beautiful 74 for $60k, and a 75 Carrera for $35.9k.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...US_Cars_Trucks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...US_Cars_Trucks

My 77 is a blue plate CA car and was licensed through 2015, but will never be registered in CA again (most likely) with the 'delete options' I have incorporated. These cars will most likely not take off in value like the long hoods, but as indicated in the Excellence article, their increasing value will allow a guy some room to install some of the 'factory bits' that make them much more fun without getting upside down. And, like the 964s from 4-5 years ago, they are still relatively inexpensive for a 35-40 yr old iconic 911 that was built during Porsche's hay day in motorsports.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

That's a Euro Carrera - not even close to the USA car. They've been collectible for a while now.

Richard Newton

"you have an open checkbook opportunity for the 74 and 75 cars" ...
    Absolutely, and a lot of engine options too...Freddies "tribute" is beautiful with RS-flares and with what sounds like a built 3.0 (Reminds me of Dave Conklin's Peru Red US-Carrera not that many years ago).../ Lars...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lars Wikblad...

Early 911 "S" Registry # 527
    "R" Gruppe # 314

I have been working on getting the engine bay a little less cluttered, and have taken it back to a 74 look. The AC compressor, extra blower, and all the spaghetti hoses that ran every which way...all gone. The engine still needs a good cleaning, but it will have to come out to do it. Some new engine tin pieces need to be installed to close up the extra holes from emission pipes no longer there...and that will be a good time to do it all. I am planning to stay with the CIS...it just keeps impressing me with its versatility, and performance. I wonder if the 78 3.0L engine has had some upgrades in CR and/or cams, as it now is still pulling strong at 7k. I had Kurt Donohoe (Partsklassik) set the rev limit at 7100 on the new Bosch CDI, and it appears that was a good decision. It has had some work somewhere along the way, as it has a Carrera tensioner upgrade.

The shadows on the 'off side' show the fabulous turbo curves that led to all those posters on bedroom walls for so many guys in the 70s-80s...and inspired many commitments around the world that "...one day, I am going to own one of those."

(The pics also show the result of record rainfall in the Phoenix area for September...equal to a whole year's worth. I need to get out there with my weed wacker and riding mower again...especially in the round pen. The grass has been growing like weeds!)
    Last edited by letsrollbabe; 10-08-2014 at 06:12 AM.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

One of the reasons the car runs so well now is the pair of new SSI exchangers now installed. The car had been registered in CA (since new) so there were some gov't pipes to remove, but it all looks and performs better now. The car has a Carrera external oil cooler with fan fed by factory hard lines to keep the engine at less than 210 degrees even on an AZ 100+ degree day. The previous owner had installed new shocks, new rotors, rebuilt calipers, new wheel bearings, and replaced all the rubber suspension bushings, leaving the original tie rods and axles for me to replace.

1977 was the first year for the boosted brake system, which clamps with much less pedal effort compared to earlier cars with the same calipers and pads. These 2500 lb 'middie' 911s are nimble and have a lighter feel than SCs, and with a wide body stance the handling is enhanced...especially with a 3.0L engine. I really like driving this car.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Rather amazing what early style SSIs and a more free flowing exhaust can do in tandem with the removal of over 100 lbs of dead weight. I removed 150 lbs with easily more to go, like the worthless spare,jack and compressor are low hanging fruit ( with a couple of cans of Fix a Flat, and tire plugs). I also pulled the console for more of an early car feel. Should lose the heavy seats but the darn things are so comfortable...

Your car is an outstanding example. Love Sahara color. The tail looks perfect as a single integrated piece, or will once painted, compared to the IMHO tacked on chunky look of a turbo tail with it seams and abrupt angles. Very nice work.
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Thanks, Rick...I agree about the consoles...they should come out to reduce actual and visual weight. I have replaced the AC knee guards with cork units. The seats in the car now are very comfortable, but the correct leather sport seats with tartan inserts will complete the early wide body look I am after. The printed copy of the tartan shows too much light blue compared to the actual fabric which shows more green than blue. I will probably do the jump rear seat inserts in the fabric also.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Very nice purposeful looking car. I think the unique color with the unique interior will really complete it. I had the same fabric fronted seats when i got my car, but the car had originally come with blue Berber tweed. So after finding some sport seat cores and getting the blue Berber form Germany, my cars interior looks as it was from the factory.
    Berb1.jpg
    Berb2.jpg

Huge...I like the Berber.

I decided to go with a more traditional look with the wheels...these are a nice set of 8+9x15 Fuchs with polished rims that seems to work without so much 'bling'. Driving this 'Middie' is not like driving my long hood ST hot rod, and not like my 964...but it displays the factory's intent for the evolving character differences between the two.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Sport seats almost ready...passenger side is finished.
    Last edited by letsrollbabe; 10-25-2014 at 12:43 PM.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17