Page 4 of 86 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: '77 & '75 Turbo Look 3.0

They look awesome. Nice work.
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus

Thanks, Ryan.

I hope you all get to read the October Panorama article on the 930/911 Turbos...13 pages(!) with good pics and one of the best summaries of a particular variation of the 911 I have read. The title is: 930 1975-1989 911 TURBOS AND WHY THEY'RE HOT, and the article includes the history of why and how Porsche built 20,685 Turbos over 15 model years. My favorite version is the 930 of 75-77 with no intercooler and the most beautiful of the rear spoilers...which quickly became known around the world as 'the whale tail'. Approximately 2650 of these early versions were produced worldwide, with only about 1250 coming to the US, so these cars are somewhat rare. The article talks about how values for these early Turbos have skyrocketed in the last couple of years, so that an 'Excellent Driver' varies between $80k-125k, and an 'Investment Grade' going for $250k-275k.

My favorite description of one of the pics says; "The 930's body visually translated the muscularity of its power plant. Wide flares, especially on the rear,wide wheels and tires, the front air dam, and the tray-like whale tail combined to tell its companions on the road to be wary that a 930 was coming through."

These early Turbo bodies are my favorite look for all of the 16 model years that Porsche used the Impact Bumpers on the 911/930/911 Turbo. I have never owned one of these early Turbos...for many of the reasons that are discussed in the article. But this 77 911 with the Turbo flares, whale tail, and wide wheels...and a 3.0L NA engine hits my sweet spot for a long-time desire to have a version of one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Gib,

That seat is fantastic- I need to get serious about running down some tartan.

Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658

Phil:

Here is a link to the source of my tartan fabric. The 13 oz is very well done, and used by Autos Int'l and other seat guys for Porsche-Recaro seats.

http://www.thescottishweaver.com/woo...l-tartans.html

Here are some patterns I looked at, and went with the Scott Green Ancient pattern. The person you order through is in the US and very nice. Their prices are very reasonable I feel for the quality of the fabric. there are many, many patterns to choose from.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Both seats are finished now....will pick up tomorrow. They are switched in their installed position, but they look pretty nice. I am a little surprised at how bold the color looks. I don't recall it being this bright when I took it over the the seat builder (maybe the cell phone camera effect), but they will definitely add plenty of color when surrounded by the cork interior.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Gib,

Those look fantastic, will give the interior a nice pop.

Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658

They look awesome - nice work.
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus

Picked up the seats late last night after my seat guy (Scott Johnson) returned from his day job. Unloaded them this morning to take a couple of pics. I was right about the colors...in pics the blue comes out bolder than what you see in person. In real life the colors look more subdued with a stronger greenish tint. Scott did a great job with the restoration, and the cork leather is a perfect match. They will get installed today.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Seats mounted....The rest of the interior is original, except the headliner which has recently been replaced. This is what 37 year old 'shag carpet' looks like. I feel like I need to dig out my old bell bottoms or leisure suit before going for a ride.

While this is technically not an R Gruppe car, I have applied the same philosophy using period mods to make the car more appealing for my tastes. Not being a 'collectible' offers the advantage of being able to modify without worrying about hurting the 'value'...and it makes life with these old cars a lot more fun. It's nostalgia personified...and it doesn't break the bank.
    Last edited by letsrollbabe; 10-28-2014 at 11:43 AM.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Fantastic Gib, really well done.
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST