Page 51 of 85 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: '77 & '75 Turbo Look 3.0

Big day today....finally got the engine bolted in place....YEAH!

We got some rain this morning but while the sky is still threatening I took some pics to see how the stance looks. It hasn't settled down yet on the rubber bushings, but the ride height is pretty close. I might bring it down a little more after driving it. Still lots to do before firing up the new engine though...connecting all the things that make it run...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by letsrollbabe; 08-02-2017 at 03:03 PM.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Very nice Gibb
    Looking for engine # 6208151
    '74 RS 3.0 Replica
    '70 911E Bahia Red (SOLD)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 Twin plug BEAST (SOLD)
    Australian TYP 901 Register #78
    Early S Registry # 1076

Very nice looking car, has already the right stance

Looks awesome Gib.

Thanks for the comments, guys.

As a lover of long hood projects for many, many years, I have really been inspired by this short hood 3.0 RS tribute project because these cars were a step up, performance-wise, from the 73 Carrera RS Light Weights. Only 54 of the 3.0 RSs were built compared to approximately 200 of the 73 LW RSs. Also, when the factory needed a special built rally car in '83, they built 20-SCRS 911s which were essentially the same car as the 3.0 RS with a few rally features thrown in (also some aluminum panels instead of FG).

Road Scholars online mag currently has an article on 2 of those SCRS cars...it is a very good read. When I see the specs of these very valuable 911s, I can't help but think of the 911 3.0 RS produced 10 years earlier.

http://roadscholars.com/porsche-911-...ventory-story/

A few more pics...
    Last edited by letsrollbabe; 08-03-2017 at 08:59 PM.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

I'm looking forward to hearing your first driving impressions.

congrats... looks fantastic

most excellent thread!

im backdated my M491 closer to a 3.0RS/SC-RS car
    Last edited by raging soul; 08-04-2017 at 04:13 PM.

Thanks...

I spent most of the day doing ranch work...wackin' weeds and mowing grass. But I did get to do a few things on the car...connected the tranny using a Stomski Racing coupling, mounted a left foot rest, and a radio delete plate. Still lots to do before getting it running.
    Last edited by letsrollbabe; 08-07-2017 at 03:24 PM.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Irrigating my fields today...2 hours at 1350 gpm...you can see the water in a couple of the pics. It keeps the pastures green.

Rolled the car to the front this morning...sun is too bright, but I tried to get some interesting shots. It is settling down a little as I roll it around.
    Last edited by letsrollbabe; 08-05-2017 at 07:33 PM.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

In answer to a question about the tail...I bought this original factory tail from Jim at EASY, who had it in his warehouse for about 20 years as I recall him telling me. It was most likely for a 75 Turbo since it has the license light cutouts which were discontinued after the 73 MY. It probably was left over inventory from the long hood frames, and was simply blanked off with aluminum plates. I have seen pics of several 74 Carreras that came this way, but only the Turbos had the 2nd vent for this size tail. The Turbo Carrera began production in the fall of 74, so this could have been on one of them...or maybe it was built into a spare tail with old invertory of metal frames with cutouts. The 3.0 RSs came with 2 tails, and the smaller one didn't have the 2nd vent from all the pics I have looked at. Only the larger tail had the 2nd vent.

This tail had been damaged from a hit in the rear, and there was some rust, which is why Jim had it for so many years...nobody wanted it. It has P/N 930 512 010 00 stamped on one side, which is listed as the Turbo spoiler. My body shop did a nice job of repairing it. It doesn't fit perfectly, but since it is a factory piece it is worth mounting on my project.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17