Page 61 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast

Thread: '77 & '75 Turbo Look 3.0

I found the factory 'G' flanges made the Recaro Rallye II seat slightly too low for me (I'm 5' 9" tall), so I used factory aluminum spacers (approx. 3/4") from the mid 70s. These are shown on the PET for the production 911 Recaro seats. They fit between the seat bottom and sliders. These are still available from Porsche.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Revisiting pics...........
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Nice!

I've never had an issue with the seats being too low - seems like we're always lowering them (or the mounts) around here!

In any event, mt RS seats (from Vintage Seats) are already set up on our RS-esque lowering brackets (kept them over from the '72) so backdating the mounting arrangement in the chassis makes sense in my situation; although not the easiest mod to do:

IMG_6236.jpg
    keith
    '75 RS/RSR-look | '73 CB750 | '70 TD250B

r gruppe # 436

Installed the driver's door panel this morning. It always takes longer than it seems it should. The door panel really completes the early 70s RS look.

The cell phone pics (in bad light) look like they were taken by a 70s pocket camera...but you can get an idea of how the interior looks at least.

Edit: Added a couple of pics taken with a real camera...
    Last edited by letsrollbabe; 09-27-2017 at 04:06 PM.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Installed the passenger side door panel this morning...
    Last edited by letsrollbabe; 09-28-2017 at 02:25 PM.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Sports purpose! Looks fantastic Gib!! Bravo on another outstanding hot-rod 911.
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST

I was with you in spirit today Gib; finished up my seat mounts (skipped the metal finishing on the rocker sides for now), installed the 85L tank & ran the vent lines, tried to make chicken salad out of the mess of ignition wires on the engine with some RSR wire holders (found a couple of cylinders swapped by PO and some general top/bottom confusion), rebuilt the parking brake assembly with a '72 hand throttle knob and a '72 single pull heat lever/knob, and stabbed the engine/transaxle back in (it's been out since March or so, I think...)

Yesterday I welded in rollbar mounts and the dead pedal.

I may actually make it to Bergrennen tomorrow (but sans carpet and most of the interior)
    keith

r gruppe # 436

Quote Originally Posted by letsrollbabe View Post
    Installed the passenger side door panel this morning...
    Hey - in the last photo, how did you work the carpet around the rollbar mount? Close up?
    keith

r gruppe # 436

Here you go, Keith....

I simply cut around the complete 'foot' as it didn't seem possible to do it any other way and look right.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Quote Originally Posted by NickP View Post
    Sports purpose! Looks fantastic Gib!! Bravo on another outstanding hot-rod 911.
    Thanks, Nick.

I guess I felt I had done all the long hoods I was inspired to do, so the next most interesting 'hot-rod' was the 3.0 RS. This has really been a fun and inspiring project for me. These cars were much like the 2.8 RSRs except for the impact bumper look....but doing the IROC series with Penske, and using the 3.0 RS to homologate the 3.0 RSRs with their outstanding success helped Porsche use the IB look for 16 model years to become an icon.

Getting the factory 3.0 RS/IROC flares from Chris Nielsen made the project become more authentic for me because they really complete the period body correctly. The fact that Porsche built this 911 to be used as a road car with all the light weight stuff and some 2.8 RSR trick pieces makes these 54 (+/-) 911s something very special in the history of the 911, and why the ones still remaining bring $1 million + when they come up for sale. They just were not that well known in the US.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17