Page 64 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast

Thread: '77 & '75 Turbo Look 3.0

I meant to point out earlier that the demonstration RS didn't have a roll bar either.

Mark, I don't know when those pics were taken, but with these cars being 43 years old now, most have gone through many lives by now. Most eventually get restored to the factory spec version regardless of how they originally came out of the factory...unfortunately.

I don't have many pics of the IROC interiors, but here is one that shows the no-head-rest seats like the RSs, but with a cushioned plate behind the driver. I would have expected they would use lollipops since they were pure race cars.

Last shot is the recently restored Sahara Beige IROC with what looks like a reproduction lollipop seat.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

These restored cars, #25 and #109, are beautiful. Thank you for posting. But I keep coming back to that third shot that Gib posted in Post #627. Maybe I am just getting old but that shot of a well used original interior just does it for me. Thankfully, there is a growing interest in preservation.

Mark,

i too like some 'patina' in an early car, so i don't 'strip & plate' every metal component. I try to use original items/pieces to keep a period look and feel in a project. An example is keeping a dash even though it is not perfect, but being original it has a look that says this is from the period. i like to build a body that is period correct with the right flares. This is the most important part of the look of a project, along with the right wheels. The mechanicals need to be freshened, or rebuilt, and a period spec engine/tranny complete the project for me. I like for a car to have the driving feel of how it would have been in the day...so no vario-ram 3.6s or EFI. i am not knocking guys who go that route...it's just not what feels right for me.

I understand a professional shop has to make things pretty much perfect because someone is going to pay up to $1 million+ or more for a special car, and most high end buyers will demand period correct perfection. I am not aiming for that kind of 911, but my projects often retain more of the 911 that was built by Porsche in the day than some highly restored collectible cars. So in that sense, my projects have a 'preservation' element to them.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Had the 77 WB wheel centers painted gold, matching the scripts I have....CARRERA...or....PORSCHE. I have both in the gold with the black outline...just need to decide which to go with.

In case anyone is wondering...the big wooden wire reels in the background belong to a friend...I'm just providing a place to store them for awhile.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

More on the 'leave the patina' philosophy...

These pics show the undercoating and other 'kept' features of this well preserved '75, as well as some freshened or new part items. Much of the car remains from 42 years ago, but much has been enriched to mimic 3.0 RS specifications. Hopefully the drive will feel like Paul Frere experienced in 1974.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Still working on small things that need attention...but these early fall mornings in AZ are so wonderful, low 60s, quiet, with the sun peeping over the eastern mountain range reminding me of why I love it here. It is my favorite time of year.
    Last edited by letsrollbabe; 10-30-2017 at 06:37 AM.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

I decided to use black steel lug nuts on the wheels....it just seems more appropriate.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

The love of my life for the past 36 years passed last Friday from a heart condition....and my passion for working on this project is in suspense right now. I will get back to it, as it will help to ease the pain, but for now I am just missing her so much. Some pics of our life together. She never complained about my passion for doing 911 projects, or when the UPS truck showed up with a box. She understood, and I will always love her for our life together.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

I am so sorry Gib. There are no words.
    Thank you for sharing the wonderful photos.

Very sorry for your loss. We'll all be here when you're ready to come back.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100