Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help With FIRST 911 Purchase!

Need Help With FIRST 911 Purchase!

Hey guys,

I had the opportunity to view a 911 earlier this month. At first, the price was so good that even with practically no knowledge of early 911's I thought it was a good deal, and I was ready to purchase. Unfortunately the owner had a day to think, and a change of heart and after inquiring about the car this past week, he's willing to part with it for double the initial price. Because I'm still quite interested, I started researching and was wondering if anyone had any input on the car for me.

The car:

I was initially told ( and confirmed Via Google) that the car was an "S". Some recent research on this forum has debunked that, and I'm wondering if anyone here can double confirm this is a Normale Karmann build. VIN: 1183xxxx

The engine number is star 3380xxx, which from my research is the correct year, but from the "L" series.

I haven't had a chance to look at the transmission, So I'm wondering if anyone would know the number range I should be looking for to confirm if the transmission is original to the chassis, the Engine or a third Porsche.

Unfortunately, the car has barely any paperwork, it was a daily driver for about 20 years, has rust and a VERY bad respray (in olive green if anyone knows how to confirm if this is the original color) The engine turns by hand, but it's been sitting in a barn for about a decade.

Based on the VERY limited information that I have/gave you guys, how much do you think a car like this would be worth? I would most likely get her back to running condition, repair the really bad rust spots and daily it for a while. I don't have to resources to properly restore an early model porsche so after enjoying it for a while I will most likely sell it to someone who can bring her back to her former glory, so re-sale value is a small concern, but a concern none the less.

I appreciate any insight.
    Last edited by new911; 09-27-2014 at 11:47 PM.

10 year barn roller... ...Would you have any pictures to share? For pricing somewhat.. research and refer to Ebay too.
    E911SR #2107
    69 911T/S SWT 3.2L
    RG #384

My insight would be that if you post this much detail here and the car is in anyway worth buying, someone will buy it out from under you - not everyone lurking or posting here is a good person. A sorry fact of life in today's market.

The best thing you can do is lots of silent research- completed auctions on fleabay (including .co.uk and .de) for pricing etc and also constantly going through the usual sites such as linked sale listings here. the bird and Samba.

Good luck. When you do buy, you won't regret it even if the car isn't all you want…and do remember that these cars are now old…they won't be pristine.

Cheers,
    Mark
    Early S #2826

Garage:
    '73 E (2.7RS replica) - sold
    '94 968 Clubsport M030 - sold
    '67 250SE Cabriolet - sold
    '71 Skyline GT - sold
    '69 911S - sold
    '73 911T/RS

Thanks Mark! I completely agree about the possibility of someone buying it from under me, and to be perfectly honest, it is what it is.. I'm just worried that my lack of knowledge could potentially mean that I will overpay. I've been looking all over the place and I think that he's asking a little more than what it's worth, but I figured I'd ask over here before taking the plunge.

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar
    I bought all my 911 other Porsches because I felt in love. Then price is of course a matter, but if you have the money do it. I asked few weeks ago about a very nice 2.4 T and started to ask questions about on various places. Waste of time, because the car was gone witihn 24 hours, and I knew I should have bought it.
    A wise man on this forum told me I did not really wanted the car...after thinking of it it may have been the case.
    As stated, none are perfect and it a matter of patience and money to get it as you are willing the car to be (is it not Love ???) - yes there will be disapointment alongside with joy.
    So if you want it buy it. This is what I did again 1 week ago.
    Cheers
    Xavier
    Last edited by Xavier PJB; 09-28-2014 at 09:32 AM.
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

Shift Knob Maker
    Not trying to sound harsh, however.. If you feel you don't have the resources to restore, I would be careful. These things tend to snowball real quick and if you try to fix the major rust, you will find more and probably more and next thing you know you have a disassembled car that needs tons of metal work and a big case of "while I'm there". Old un-restored parts look really bad next to fresh paint and fixed places. If it has been sitting for 10 years, it needs a quite a bit just to get it running and road worthy, which also can snow ball quick. More times than not, cars are bought, started, never finished and sold for a loss. (that is how I got my current project) There has to be a reason it had a bad respray (bad repairs under the bad paint) and a reason it was parked??

Your better off to put funds into a car that is drivable now or save till you can do one right.

Just my 2 cents.
    Mark..

1183xxxx.... is not a 68S. It is probably a US 911...as you found out.
    The 3 designation for S didn't start until 69
    The Ss in 68 were 1180(0/1)xxx...Coupe and 11850xxx...Targa as I remember.
    I'm sure he thinks he has an S. Very typical of partial info on the web.....
    Also Karmann didn't make Ss.....

As far as value...rust is the determining factor...rusty....4k...no rust (doubtful) 50k+ IMHO
    Have a PPI done on it if you are going to spend your money...
    BTW also NOT a good first 911 IMHO.....

H

Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

5 to 10 years ago, you could figure on putting $30,000 into any 911 over what you paid for the car just get running and looking OK. today ??? Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

Quote Originally Posted by new911 View Post
    Thanks Mark! I completely agree about the possibility of someone buying it from under me, and to be perfectly honest, it is what it is.. I'm just worried that my lack of knowledge could potentially mean that I will overpay. I've been looking all over the place and I think that he's asking a little more than what it's worth, but I figured I'd ask over here before taking the plunge.
    Any person that grossly overpaid for a SWB 911 10 years ago is smiling now

Regards

Jim