Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rennsport V USA 8-11 October 2015

Rennsport V USA 8-11 October 2015

I'm cranking up an Aussie/Antipoeds thread for Rennsport V which has now been announced for next year (8-11 Oct 2015). I'm a bit excited as I've been waiting for this event for 3 years after missing the last.

Several of the Usual Suspects on this forum have already committed and booked our accommodation at the Hyatt Monterey for the event (partner free!). Given that the event is just 3-4 days and I have a leave pass for 10-12 days, I thought we could "pencil" in some ideas and dates for other things to see... There's also value in defraying some costs such as hire cars etc... if things work out.

I thought other minor things such as arrival dates (given the different days, States, and flights people will travel) could be posted in case we can help each other out. I'm torn between renting a big-arse 'Merican Truck (like a Chevy Suburban) with up to seven seats and luggage capacity for a 'road trip'; or to rent a Boxster or 997 and 'caravan' up the Big Sur in a group...

Post event? Napa Valley wineries, or Las Vegas? The sooner such things are decided, the sooner I can book and pay in anticipation of the falling Aussie dollar (which always seems to happen when I travel abroad ). Having said that, I've immediately bought $1k USD and put on a travel Visa card in anticipation.

Open thread - any/all ideas welcomed!
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

Well I'm good for a couple of weeks and would like to see and do more of the US. I'll have to fly to the East coast first so happy to hook up with others if timing to fly out works.

Vegas etc I'm in for and also car sharing. Would love a few days in New York but I'm not sure how doable it will be.

Chuck Miller hinted there might be some more club / car stuff happening around the event as well so that might unfold as time goes on.
    Looking for engine # 6208151
    '74 RS 3.0 Replica
    '70 911E Bahia Red (SOLD)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 Twin plug BEAST (SOLD)
    Australian TYP 901 Register #78
    Early S Registry # 1076

I have today booked in to the Hyatt as well from the Wednesday pm to the Monday am after the races.
    Although I will be doing my own thing before and after the races,Im looking forward to meeting the down under gang at the new 'kangaroo gulch' in Monterey.
    I plan to spend several days going from SF to Monterey seeing the car related sights and the same time going to LA to visit friends there - about 3 weeks all up.

Cheers,
    Dennis.
    1970 914-6 - materialised from the 'Lotto' garage into reality
    1971 2.2 911 S - now back in the UK - sob!
    1975 Carrera Targa (ROW) - missed.
    One of us is fast becoming a valuable antique.
    S Registry member 536
    Australian TYP 901 Register Member 44

Can't book flights yet - too far out. So not sure yet whether to make Rennsport the first or the last thing I'm hoping to save enough to treat myself to premium or even business class - don't fly much anymore so it'll be a 'full fare' thing But seeing as I don't have to cover the wife or kid for this trip...

My 356 loving brother has expressed an interest in coming as he's in the market for an 'outlaw' - he wonders if there might be a bargain or two in the carpark
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    Restoration Saga

Am booked in.

There should be up to 20 of us I reckon, I know of 6 other PCNSW guys who have booked rooms.

Highly likely I'll be travelling with my fiancee either before or after the event but if I can work it in I will..... in the past weve landed in LA, rented Camaros, Mustangs etc ( the LA rental places are great at upgrading you from a Prius to Z06 Corvette!) and driven up PCH.

JR

Room booked on the off chance I have the time.

Surely 1/6th of a Crown Vic is cheaper than a hire car...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...olice&_sacat=0
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus

While not from down under....my daughter is married to an Aussie RAAF officer stationed at Robins AFB in mid-Georgia...I'm also booked into the Hyatt-Monterey for Rennsport V and hope to meet some of you at the event..
    Cheers,
    Tom Michelsen
    1969 912 tangerine coupe 82K original miles
    1974 911 red targa 71K original miles

Tom Michelsen
    Central Coast Heaven

Shell Beach, California

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Michelsen View Post
    While not from down under....my daughter is married to an Aussie RAAF officer stationed at Robins AFB in mid-Georgia...I'm also booked into the Hyatt-Monterey for Rennsport V and hope to meet some of you at the event..
    Cheers,
    Tom Michelsen
    Hey Tom, if you haven't learned to love hating us Aussies yet, we'll make you!
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    Restoration Saga

Quote Originally Posted by obrut View Post

It's the red hair in you isn't it? Something not... quite...right...
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    Restoration Saga

Ahhh yes the Crown Vic

Putting the ugly into Fugly since.....some time back.

Strange unfulfilled cop fantasy, closet Blue Brothers fan...?

Quote Originally Posted by obrut View Post

Looking for engine # 6208151
    '74 RS 3.0 Replica
    '70 911E Bahia Red (SOLD)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 Twin plug BEAST (SOLD)
    Australian TYP 901 Register #78
    Early S Registry # 1076