Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some people should not work on cars (me!)

Quote Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
    Greg, This sounds like my very first 911 oil change experience " a standard catch pan that will take 10+ gallons in 3 seconds"
    Yup, except it's not my first time, which makes it sad - I've had an aircooled 911 for almost 20y. But the 72 tank did catch me for sure, I don't see a good solution other than removing the wheel, a scissor lift or a thinner pan that still takes, what, 8 gallons so in 3 seconds ? ;-)

On the positive side I sucked out the right amount, the tank level is perfect when warm at idle....
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

Quote Originally Posted by Greg D. View Post
    Yup, except it's not my first time, which makes it sad - I've had an aircooled 911 for almost 20y. But the 72 tank did catch me for sure, I don't see a good solution other than removing the wheel, a scissor lift or a thinner pan that still takes, what, 8 gallons so in 3 seconds ? ;-)

On the positive side I sucked out the right amount, the tank level is perfect when warm at idle....

You mean 8 quarts, right? If it's 8 gallons, your overfilling problem is severe
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

I overfilled once. Thought I would loosen the drain plug on the tank and let a little bit out...... Oh well it was worth a try. I'm dog owner, but I came home with two large containers of cat liter that day to clean up my little mess in the garage. My sympathies, I think we've all been there.
    Mauricio
    Three Pedal Posse
    Member # 1935

1968 Porsche 912-6 TR Tribute
    1968 Porsche 911 L
    1973 VW Sportsbug
    1974 Porsche 911 S
    1991 Porsche 964 Carrera 2 3.8

"if you see a fork in the road, PICK IT UP!"

Quote Originally Posted by sonett43 View Post
    You mean 8 quarts, right? If it's 8 gallons, your overfilling problem is severe
    Yup quarts, almost-liters as I call them!!!! I grew up on metric, my bad. I'll make an effort if you can tell me how many cubic ounces are in a pint, or something :-). (Yes that's sarcasm :-)
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

Good rule of thumb is put 9 quarts in after an oil change. Then add more once it warms up. Unless you are putting a brand new engine in and a brand new oil cooler system that amount will be fine for initial startup. Working on cars is not as easy as it used to be. People simply do not do regular garage maintenance like my father and grandfather did - therefore the common sense is not as up to date as it should be. Oil pans from walmart are almost useless as the plastic has been thinned so much from all the rounds of bean counters reducing amounts of the materials to make it cheap. Then you can't buy really good oil at the store - you have to drive 50 miles to go pick up your Brad Penn or equivalent oil.

Last time I tried working on my 70S car I drilled a hole right thru the internal oil-line inside the inner rocker area. That is very very hard to fix.
    1969 911S Targa
    1970 911S Coupe
    1973 911T w 3.2
    1972 Alfa GTV 2000

Quote Originally Posted by Frankr View Post
    Last time I tried working on my 70S car I drilled a hole right thru the internal oil-line inside the inner rocker area. That is very very hard to fix.
    Thanks, makes me feel better... To add insult to injury, I also lost my keys. It was that kind of day (?) ! Went to have a new one cut today, and of course, I found the missing key tonight jammed in the child's booster seat. Yes, I occasionally pick up the older one at school in the 911, he likes the view from the front seat and the lack of seatbelts back there makes it almost legal, I *think*. I'm working on seatbelts though, the ones I found are too long...
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

My local mech works on all my modern cars. He has no problem putting my Porsche on a lift and draining the oil for me n/c. He uses waste oil to heat his shop. I buy oil on Amazon and they deliver to my door for free.