Thread: "S" wide trim photo & question

"S" wide trim photo & question

An employee of mine brought this NOS wide S trim to me for possible use on my 1967 project. It was / is in the original bag but without part number. I want to attach some photos so that maybe the group here could tell me if I am on the right track figuring out the part number. I cant use it as my '67 has narrow trim (he also had two NOS 901.505.04.302 narrow he tried to see if I could use but they are for LWB). I am thinking this is a 901.505.048.50 (SWB left or right bumper deco). It looks 100% NOS but the seam near the tapered end is throwing me. Comments please.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

... more photos
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Looks like repro to me
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

What are the indicators? I mean the crimp is tight on the end. The taper is correct. The weight of the metal is spot on. This is a quality piece. I just am taken by the seam in the 1st photo.

Notice how the profile goes concave in the middle, also the seam you mention in the first photo, the original doesn't do that, and the original aluminum ends have a closer joint than this trim.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelB. View Post
    What are the indicators? I mean the crimp is tight on the end. The taper is correct. The weight of the metal is spot on. This is a quality piece. I just am taken by the seam in the 1st photo.
    I think the original swb 'S' rubber strip was one piece with no seam anywhere.
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

Very good. Thank you.

That is a new repro LWB piece. Might be old but the NOS LWB deco I have here for my personal car - the deco insert rubber is cut perfectly to length where it meet the rear reflector and the seam with the cap is hardly noticeable. Ed is right on the seam for the end cap - the originals had a much neater seam. Also the base rubber on the reproduction is fatter and borrowed from the 356B/C deco - the original base rubber for the decos is thinner.

FYI International Mercantile now manufactures the correct base deco rubber, tell Terry I sent you.

Ok. Well I know its 20 years plus old... As it came from my inventory shelves ~ and I can tell you its been sitting there for-ever. But the seam was the kicker. I did not recall seams like that.

As for the LWB fitment for this lone S piece - nope. I placed this right over a '67 SWB bumper & its a direct fit. To my understanding there were two types, reflector & non-reflector. The cut of the ends I would assume would be different depending on the choice.

The other two narrow trim pieces here do have the same curve and fitment as a LWB & are part numbered as such. They have radically different lengths then this single one.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelB. View Post
    Ok. Well I know its 20 years plus old... As it came from my inventory shelves ~ and I can tell you its been sitting there for-ever. But the seam was the kicker. I did not recall seams like that.
    I was a Tasker dealer 30+ years ago....
    H