Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do we handle conflict here?

Banned

How do we handle conflict here?

In regard to relationships in this community? When a discussion becomes awkward, uncomfortable, or when our personal viewpoint collides or clashes with another do we give others room to express? Or do we get irritable, impatient, frustrated, or even angry? Do we grant grace and patience or do we attempt to shut down communication?

Recent deleted threads and posts remind me that this is a very mixed bag of personalities; we are all not going to agree which is a wonderful thing! Variety is the spice of life and difference of opinion provides even more flavor. If we believe that this is a family of sorts then we’ll work hard at getting along. But what healthy families don’t do is have a desire to harm one another. It's one thing to throw food at each other at a holiday dinner; it's quite another to pull out a gun and wave it around.

I hope we can discuss this in a civil manner and really hope this doesn’t get deleted because a handful of members don’t like the topic. If you don’t like it no one is forcing you to participate.
    We all love our cars but they don’t have souls, feelings, and express love... or hate for that matter. If we can’t talk about these kinds of serious, life altering things here then this whole exercise of a “community gathering” is totally superficial and meaningless.

THAT my friends sounds like an unbelievable waste of time.

If no one pipes up then I'll activate King K's switch and turn this into another running dialog of Dumb and Dumbest.

Hi Frank, found a Multipla yet?

I'll bite, simply because I agree with your skepticism here. I think this ongoing political correctness quest is going so far that it stands in the way of freedom of speech and strong opinions. I'm surprised that most of the times when I see threads derailing there's a common denominator. The common denominator seems to be pride. People who's egos are hurt because someone else doesn't agree with them. Which I don't understand, and find quite sad. So much to learn from different opinions, or so much to learn by those with differing opinions. There's usually a how and a why, and with good reason. If only they were open to it... I know I am.

Bring it on, tell me what I see wrong!

Frank I think your mistake on the recent thread about mechanics was your last post that got a little too personal, other than that I enjoyed reading it! I would have just deleted the your last post and let it continue.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

Banned
    LOL. But it was darn funny Mike.

I agree. A simple post delete would have been just fine with me. I have no problem with a smack down.

Honestly.. its not the comments or the smack down, but this the "going to the lower denominator" aspect that we are all choosing to read. Eventually this is where this is all heading.

I am not sure if you ever been on Yelp Talk, where on commented treads, snark individuals can go back and forth on topics? Go ahead and try it, and see how long you can hang. This is where one can test ones very own smart-ars self to remarks to an open forum where open venting is encouraged, without needing much to say about a point.

Do we want to make Early911SRegistry this same kind place where a respondent can flog to death a thread, much like this one, trying to outwit each other, having dialog that is suppose to always be humorous, but often it becomes more often insulting, bringing back toxic dialog? Has E911SR turned itself where then people will feel they then need to make fake accounts, to not get identified, and then write what they really think about something or someone? Some of what these fake identities say and do, is exactly trying to punch below the belt. Sadly moderators spend good amount of their time finding and deleting comments and accounts of these very quips.

my $1.00.

Feelings were challenged though I don't think it got that bad. However please, I hope that the administrators of this page do not offer any kinds of thumbs up or thumbs down indicator, as I am sure the readers and writers know that well.
    E911SR #2107
    69 911T/S SWT 3.2L
    RG #384

Seriously, Frank, how much time do you have on your hands?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by reed View Post
    Seriously, Frank, how much time do you have on your hands?
    Reed,
    As much as I want.

There's 24 hours in a day and I only sleep for 6 of those. How hard is to post on a smartphone while walking, driving, or sitting on the toilet?

I spend most of my time thinking about "stuff". From sport seats to Dachshunds. But what do I really enjoy thinking about?

People.

Time to wipe. Gotta go.

haha.. living a dream.
    E911SR #2107
    69 911T/S SWT 3.2L
    RG #384

Frank- we call the iPad the iPoo in my house for the very reasons you describe.

I especially appreciate all the banter and the humor. I only get concerned when it causes a good resource to think twice at offering an opinion. Typically when that's happened- I just get a PM and the system works.

Why dachshunds? I had one named "Grover" and while intelligent, he was a spiteful little dog. Sounds like a random stream of thoughts you've got going there re hounds..houndstooth.. poo..

Scott
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)

Being fairly new to this site, but not new to car forums or financial forum's here is my 2 cents. Zero Hedge for instance, the anti-CNBC site, the comments are sometimes better than the articles, well most of the time they are. I think everybody in their "normal" lives outside of the internet; say at work, social gatherings, school, and every day activities has to be so "politically correct" these days. Being able to really say what you want on a forum without being chastised, thrown in jail, or fired for what you say is a breath of fresh air. Gone are the Don Draper “Mad Men” days that much of us wish were still around. I always equate it to censorship on the television or radio. If you don't like what one is saying, switch the station, turn the channel, or stop reading the post. It is that simple people.

Censorship is not what this country is supposedly about. The Chinese and other communist countries are censoring the internet; don't think that we are far behind. The FBI wants full access to everyone’s phones etc., I mean this is real stuff. So, in the interim, enjoy what little freedoms we have left and quit having such hurt feelings over what somebody does or does not say. Either stop reading, stop coming to this site, and jog on, or enjoy the Porsche hard cornering ride.

Personally attacking somebody with real physical threats is not tolerated in any society without repercussions. I have not seen that here yet and doubt I will because if it ever does happen, that is what a moderator is for, get them off of here, “C’est la vi.” Until then, poking fun, using puns, whit, and lively conversation is half the fun. Nobody wants to read boring tech manuals all day long and regurgitate them for others to nod about. Well, other than Frank maybe, we all know you just spend all your free time reading boring tech manuals . So, keep it lively my friend..... good for you!
    Attached Images Attached Images