Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FS: @classicdriver.com - '65 911

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    Lol! Will give him a man-hug if he wants one.
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender
    70S Silver, original Slate Gray Japan delivery

asking is 90.000 Pounds
    911 S 1967 and ...

Quote Originally Posted by LiveFromNY View Post
    A 1966 car presented as a 1965 car and a description almost devoid of any information about the condition of the car. Why is that remotely interesting?
    As someone who is still learning the various details differentiating 65/66 cars, would you kindly elaborate why it is a 66 when the seller says it is a 65? Is it purely from a chassis number perspective?
    Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stradman View Post
    As someone who is still learning the various details differentiating 65/66 cars, would you kindly elaborate why it is a 66 when the seller says it is a 65? Is it purely from a chassis number perspective?
    Many thanks
    The VIN is a MY 66 - Built somewhere between 11/65-03/66
    Bottom dash pad wraps around the wood at the ends
    Upper dash does not have the 4 Buttons
    No solexes, although those were probably installed from the factory
    The paint tag (which has a nice big hole in it), probably says with 6604 if it's a true light ivory (note the '66)

Other than a few things like this, the distinction between the 65's and the 66's come down to very small details that seem to make some difference in the price: 15-20% higher for a "real" '65 (prior to the summer vacation -- 07/65 and earlier production dates). The 50th anniversary has whipped the '65 market into a frenzy, hence the ridiculous prices for cars that are recognized to be '66 by some fraction of the world (US market). In the end, I would not say that $100-140K (upper limit of the 90K GBP asking) is completely out of touch with reality for a really good '66 car. This doesn't appear to be that car, and with very very little about it's actual condition, I would probably stay away at that price.

This car looks a bit like a "lipstick on a pig" job. Bad jamb paintwork (painted over the light switches). Shiny emblems and bumper guards... with a very untouched interior (not that that's a bad thing). Just seems like a car that doesn't quite know what it wants to be... certainly not a "survivor" and certainly not a restoration. Reminds me of my car a little. ;-)
    Last edited by oscillon; 10-30-2014 at 09:56 AM.
    1996 993 black/tan

Seller not sure if its matching numbers as not had COA yet and says car requires a full restoration.

Has had new floors at some point but done badly.

Price reflects condition.

Gotta say that personally at least, I have found the seller not particularly helpful. Information is given in drips and drabs and very scanty. Now you say its possibly not matching numbers? Description however says "according to Porsche archives" it is.....So that conflict maybe says everything you need to know about this car.

Quote Originally Posted by stradman View Post
    Gotta say that personally at least, I have found the seller not particularly helpful. Information is given in drips and drabs and very scanty. Now you say its possibly not matching numbers? Description however says "according to Porsche archives" it is.....So that conflict maybe says everything you need to know about this car.
    In the sales PDF it does not say it is matching numbers and I know they hadn't had the COA back when I enquired. I'm not sure how you would know for certain without it or what 'according to Porsche archives' means....so would just be worth checking.

It has got a lot harder to get a copy of the COA over here now - you have to be the registered owner and you have to provide a copy of the owners registration document now also to get it - that will make it harder for dealers I expect to obtain.

Dealer was quite hones with me - said "The car could easily be used with some minor work, but ultimately needs restoring"

Quote Originally Posted by 964RS UK View Post
    In the sales PDF it does not say it is matching numbers and I know they hadn't had the COA back when I enquired. I'm not sure how you would know for certain without it or what 'according to Porsche archives' means....so would just be worth checking.

It has got a lot harder to get a copy of the COA over here now - you have to be the registered owner and you have to provide a copy of the owners registration document now also to get it - that will make it harder for dealers I expect to obtain.

Dealer was quite hones with me - said "The car could easily be used with some minor work, but ultimately needs restoring"
    Yes the PDF does say matching numbers.
    The problem was getting any history information. If I or anyone is going to drop a large part of 200k GBP on buying and restoring a car it would be nice to have some background of the car. This car apparently has no paperwork or any known history. It could be a bitsa for all I know...just not comfortable with the whole sales pitch here personally