Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comfort Group for 73 911T

Comfort Group for 73 911T

Does someone have the comfort list for a 73 911T My friend has one for his 71 but I suspect that it is a bit different. I noticed in Dr. Johnson's
    book that he says that Velour carpet that was standard in the S was available as as option on the E but has no mention for the T. Was the comfort option
    different for those two? Although my car has the comfort option it still retains the black lettering. Is that correct? Where the bumperettes
    different?

Thanks Jerry

Partial answer:
    - All '73MY 911s had black lettering on the rear deck lid and black bumperettes.
    - Early '73MY 911s had front and rear black painted metal bumperettes and later '73MY 911's had larger rubber black bumperettes.

Further searching the forum should result in the 1973 Comfort Package option list.
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...t+Package+List
    Doug Dill

1973 911E Coupe
    PCA #1987109761
    Early 911S Registry #548

The color of deck lid lettering has been discussed a bit around here. Gold, black , and silver lettering was available. A deck lid I pulled from a bone stock light ivory '73 T targa back in '93 has silver for the Porsche and the 911T. maybe there was some rhyme or reason for why Porsche put on what color lettering they did, but I suspect it had something to do with the fact that they didn't care about it as much as we do. Perhaps they just worked with what they had at the time.
    Doug is correct regarding the front bumperettes. I guess the large rubber version was a compromise for US bumper standards until they could rework the bumpers for the '74 MY.

Quote Originally Posted by Gearby View Post
    I suspect it had something to do with the fact that they didn't care about it as much as we do. Perhaps they just worked with what they had at the time.
    They actually did care. Silver or gold lettering was not available anymore as an option on any 2.4l models and they were then all plain black, anodised black on silver metal,that is.
    Thats why and as in numerous reports, that black color could loose its shade and some lettering turned back to the silver lettering materiel.
    Or, someone put on the wrong type of lettering or wished to do it as on a 67S, 71S or any 68/69-71 911T/911E w appereance/comfort group option. He was free to do that but it was not how the cars left the factory.

I agree the factory did use parts up until storage was used up but not w lettering, as period accessories lists, period photos and document show.
    Last edited by 911T1971; 10-28-2014 at 07:19 AM.
    Registry member No.773

My later MY73S has the black 2.4L and silver PORSCHE and the grille is also black anodized, with 1 repaint (by me) and I have known or owned the car for the past 35 years. I know all the previous owners except the 1st one who only had the car for 2 months so I am 99.9% sure it came from the factory this way as there has never been any sign of fading. It has the Euro lenses as well as H1's and wheel arch trim that have been on the car since new so maybe silver lettering was an option with those other items??? No expert here by any stretch but I have a very good history of the car and have been the only 1 to have it painted.

Hi tomh, happy to learn new things.

In any case and even the car came like that, there was in my knowledge no option ever to "downgrade" to a silver PORSCHE for a S model.
    Maybe a Dealer would do it for a client if he wished to downgrade for 2.0/2.2T style Silver instead of black 73S style, even factory standard for 2.0/2.2S was always Gold on S models...

BTW, what do you mean with (Chrome ?) wheel arch trim..never saw any on a 2.4l model either.
    Do you have it on the Kardex or COA, what option would be noted for wheel arch trim on a 73S.
    Registry member No.773

The lettering on my decklid is definitely not faded from black. Even the pins on the back are silver. My grill which was black has faded a bit. The paint on the decklid is original paint and the car didn't have any mods. I guess it's possible that the emblems were changed out but this car was so neglected (hence why it was dismantled in '93), it just didn't have any mods whatsoever. Name:  20141028_101302.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  91.2 KBName:  20141028_101033.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  34.5 KBI'm just as curious as any of you as to why I have silver. I actually prefer the black but don't know why I have silver. Nor do I understand why my upside down picture is still here.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My 1973.5 7/73 compliance sticker is also original silver.
    Name:  DSC00223.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  140.7 KB
    E Sully
    1973.5 911T

The 2.4 emblem looks just as it should. The silver letters, not so much.

Regards

Jim

Karim,

The Comfort Group/Equipment option as a topic comes up very frequently. Lately once a week or so.

Maybe you could create a nice reference thread for each LWB year based on your extensive doc/lit set and interest in the subject?

I'm sure others would appreciate it.

Just a suggestion...

Bryce
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624