Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the build date available with knowing just the Vin #?

Is the build date available with knowing just the Vin #?

My car has no stickers on it and I'm excited to order the new ones being offered. Unlike all of the other COA s that I have gotten
    the one for this car a 73T says not available. Is there a source for finding this information knowing just the Vin# and Engine #?

Thank You jerry Landes

member #1515
    If you post your Vin here there might be someone close to the same # with a build date.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Good idea David, My vin # is 9113110031 eng # 6130049

Thanks Jerry

You should know that these vehicles were NOT necessarily built in VIN order sequence.

I know that's true especially in the 356 world. But within reason the numbers are usually close. Besides what else do I have to go on?

i think with any thing there is an exception but you will probably get within 1 month by vin#
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Check the dates stamped on the back of your instruments (clock, tach, etc.). The instruments are easily removed by pulling them out of the gauge cluster. They are held in by friction fit rubber seals. Your car will have been built some time shortly after the date on the gauges or the month of the gauges.

Quote Originally Posted by BrentF View Post
    Check the dates stamped on the back of your instruments (clock, tach, etc.). The instruments are easily removed by pulling them out of the gauge cluster. They are held in by friction fit rubber seals. Your car will have been built some time shortly after the date on the gauges or the month of the gauges.
    Yes, the clock especially. My clock was built one month prior to the date on my compliance sticker. My tach was 2 months prior.

I pulled the clock and speedo but only the clock had a readable date of 7/72. My vin # is 31 after the beginning of 73 production vin# and my engine
    49 up so I'm guessing that my car is an early 73 build. Would that be 8/72 or 9/72 Does anyone know what date that the factory started new year models.
    The COA on my 57 speedster says 10/23/57 build date but porsche still calls it a 57. I'm sure that porsche did things differently 38 years later.

I believe August was the shut down MY change over month so there might not be 8/XX build dates
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser