Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1971 Targa 911T Found on a Driveway in Maryland

Thanks so much on the tips for a battery replacement and to wash\clay bar the paint? I'll google these and make some calls.
    Vr,
    Scott

Congrats. Nice car, reads like just a little TLC and she'll be right.

Oy caramba, Lewis, the cricket is with a lurker on detailing forums. Hahaha

Help ma they're gunna wash my car

Today I treated the rust in the battery boxes and the area in front of the spare tire due to the old batteries. I first spoke to Rob ( a Porsche friend) and we decided to use baking soda and water to kill the acid in the rust. Then I bought Kurd Kutter Rust inhibitor to kill and stop the rust. I will later use POR15. Next I changed the oil and filter. I noticed the gas tank was sent to ReNeu, it even has a metal tag with a serial number for the repair ( I found the repair bill and sticker from the ReNeu company dated 1999). I removed the gas sending unit and sucked out the 3 gallons of old gas. The inside looked great, no issues. I poured some Marvel Mystery oil into the oil and gas tanks. I added 4 gallons of gas. I already poured Marvel Mystery Oil into the Weber Carbs and into each cylinder - I did that three weeks ago with the previous owner before buying the car, I need to remove the brake calipers and send them off for rebuilding.

The door seals are shot, but want to keep the car original. What can I do to glue the seals closed where cracked (what type of glue ?) than I will use the Gummi Pflege over all the rubber.
    Vr,
    Scott

Last night I removed the spark plugs and disconnected the fuel line to the first Weber carb and Stück the end of the fuel hose in a glass jar to inspect the fuel. I connected a good battery to the driver side only and turned the key to the on switch -- no fuel pump sound or gas in the jar. I tapped the Bosch pump with a small hammer, nothing.

Where is the fuse and relay for the fuel pump. Also how do I test for current to the pump. I only have a simple two wire split with an LED light that Inues to stick in a wall socket in the house. Will that work on the end of the plug for the Bosch fuel pump?

Scott

That's a house voltage test light for 110-V, doesn't work on 12V. The pump is probably gummed up as was suggested earlier. Use a known good 12V battery and connect it directly to the pump, that will by-pass all other possible electrical problems and show you whether the pump itself is working.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

This past week, I borrowed a friends multi-meter and checked the power to the bosch fuel pump. It was good with 12 volts reading. I pulled the pump and soaked it in brake cleaner for 24 hours and every few hours tapped the sides.
    Last night hooked it to a battery and nothing happened. The pump is new from 1989 with only 4,000 +/- miles, but has sat for 7 years. I guess it's gummed-up. I called Kurt at PartsKlassics and put it in the mail this AM for Tuesday delivery.
    Today I pulled the calipers apart to rebuild all four. Pulled off the rear rotors and will adjust the emergency brakes and install new rotors. For the fronts, I just sanded down the rotors as they looked pretty darn good.
    For Sunday, I'll drive the Red 1970 to Annapolis Coffee and Cars.
    Vr,
    Scott

She now has a sister after 27 years.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Completed the four M-calipers yesterday and sprayed them with silver caliper paint. All was going well until I hit the last caliper, the Pistons just wouldn't come out. I found a shop with 200 PSI of air pressure...they Pistons finally came out. I had to sand and remove the surface rust, but it all came off. Additionally, the two rear rotors came in, so I'll be busy this weekend mounting and bleeding brakes.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

I sure hate to tell you this,,,,but the pistons aren't oriented correctly. They need to be at a 20 degree angle relative to the rotor. A shop manual will show you a picture.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

+1 been there done that

But I´ve been successful in turning them carefully (with plastic pliers) in the correct angle without removing them.

Name:  435577d1271710709-20-deg-caliper-alignment-template-rotor.gif
Views: 295
Size:  22.4 KB
    Porsche 935 DP1 Zirkelbach
    930/10
    Resale red

Porsche 911, 1971
    2.5L on Webers
    Silvermetallic