Thread: History of former East Coast swb

History of former East Coast swb

This is my first post in this forum therefore I want to introduce myself. I live in Murnau which is in the very south of Germany, 40 miles from Munich. I am a Porsche guy since 1995, starting with 993s and later due to space requirements changed to Cayenne models. Last year I made an old dream come true and bought a 911 swb from 1968. US delivery, burgundy red, was originally equipped with radio „Frankfurt“, chrome-plated wheels (currently on Fuchs), wooden steering wheel and fog lights. Engine is matching (magnesium case).

Currently I am investigating all former owners to create a full history of this beautiful car. This is what I have so far:

March 1968 delivered to PoAC, Teaneck, N.J.
    Out oft he Kardex: First owner „Mr. Marco Reuben“ in New York
    Repainted from burgundy red to silver
    Changed transmission from #3281158 to #104603 (typ 901/02, 5 speed)
    1978 sold from a used car dealer in New York (does not exist anymore) to a known person in Teaneck N.J.
    1991 reimported to Germany, 8 different German owners (all known) in Munich, Hamburg and Frankfurt, repainted from silver to burgundy red
    2013 bought by myself

Question: Knows anyone this „Mr. Marco Reuben“ lived 1968 in Manhattan (I checked already the New York City directory and found no one by the name of Marco Reuben) or has anyone additional information concerning my car FIN 118.3.5224 or perhaps even transmission #104603?

FIN 118.3.5224 in 1978 in silver, still with chrome wheels
    Name:  ej7p01.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  82.2 KB

Actual picture of FIN 118.3.5224 in burgundy red
    Name:  w1y2w8.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  127.3 KB

I cross my fingers that there is a hit! Thanks in advance for your support and best regards from Bavaria
    Stefan
    Stefan

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx911 US-delivery 130PS MJ68

Welcome to the board Stefan....... very nice looking car.... good luck on your search
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Tranmissions

You probably know that the transmission was changed because the car came with a "328xxx" Four Speed gear box and was upgraded to a Five Speed (from a 1967 or earlier 911.) Thanks.

-Allen-
    Last edited by Allen Henderson; 11-04-2014 at 05:31 AM.

Hi Allen,
    this was also an assumption from me, thanks for confirmation. Is #104603 than a transmission from an S-model?
    BR,
    Stefan
    Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by 68er View Post
    Hi Allen,
    this was also an assumption from me, thanks for confirmation. Is #104603 than a transmission from an S-model?
    BR,
    Stefan
    I don't beleive we can tell from the transmission number alone if it is from an S. Even if I had "the little spec. book" here with me on vacation, I don't think it will tell us that but we can get a general idea of the production (date). So if it is a pre-1967 MY, we know it is not from an S. Thanks.

-Allen-

Public records show a man in his late 70's by the of Marc N Reuben in Tillson, NY...he could possibly be who you seek...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Quote Originally Posted by 68er View Post
    Hi Allen,
    BR,
    Stefan
    901/02 is a (MY67) S transmission (S gear ratio box w/ a Z on 5th). Of course knowing Porsche if a customer wanted it, the "S" transmission was most likely available to all models.

Richard
    searching for engine (case) 903742

Peter & Richard,

thank you both for your help.
    I have sent already a letter to this Marc in Tillson, NY. I'll wait for some time and when there is no answer I'm assuming that he is not the right Marc. Probably I will than try to find a person familiar with genealogical research to support me in identifying the first owner of my car.
    What I know now is, that my current transmission has a high-ratio 5th gear. I have attached a picture of revision of this transmission out of the year 2010.

Name:  309j7yf.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  123.7 KB
    #104603 Typ 901/02

Thanks again and best regards from Bavaria,
    Stefan
    Stefan

Any more luck finding-out the history of your car? . . .

We Can Be Heroes

Thanks for asking, unfortunately no luck finding concerning the first 10 years of my car (1968-1978) so far. I was able to contact all previous owners (8!) between 1978 and now and some sent me photos (see attached).

The first owner of my Porsche, Mr. Mark (sometimes also written Marc or Marco) Reuben deceased in 1971, three years after he has bought the car. With intensive support from Joe Eaton (out of this forum) we tried to find out more about Mark and his kinship. We found the notice of death and created a survey of his relationship (see attached), tried to contact living kinship, but without results.

My current focus is to get information about the current stay of the originally installed transmission #3281158 and/or the source of the actual installed transmission #104603. I contacted Porsche Cars North America and the Porsche Club of America but without success.

1992 in Munich:

2000 in Hamburg:
    Stefan