Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuchs Reproduction Vs. Original wheels

Fuchs Reproduction Vs. Original wheels

Has anyone been able to compare the original Fuchs wheels to the reproduction wheels currently being offered?
    It would be nice to see them side by side. Also what is the quality of the reproduction wheels?

Jerry, don't have comp pics but I just put a set from Zuffenhaus on my Targa. They are truly outstanding in quality, fit and finish. They use Harvey Weidman to do their RSR finish, he's the best of the best. Be prepared to wait, and wait, and wait. Mine took almost a year. I'd order again in a heartbeat. Easy to say that now that I got them. Lots of info on Pelican Parts on aftermarket Fuch's.

did you know that FUCHs is making the original style wheels again?
    http://www.fuchsfelge.de/index.php?id=5&L=1

I had a set of Flat-4 Fuchs on my VW Bug. It had 4 1/2" on the front and Deep-6 on the back. I currently have a real set of 4 Deep-6's on my 911T. Having seen both original and repro up close side by side I can say there are differences although they're minor and wouldn't be noticeable driving down the road I think. The Flat-4's are actually produced by Einkie (sp?) which is an OEM wheel producer for several Japanese companies including Honda so they're very well made (avoid the Empi variety, cheap Chinese crap). The repros are not forged alloy like the real ones but if you want a nice set of wheels that are just fine for driving (not racing) the Flat-4 repros are a good wheel. Id still rather have originals any day but if money were an issue Id have no trouble buying and running a set of Flat-4 Deep-6's.

Stretch

Here is a pic comparing three real fuchs to a Braid replica. Upper left is Braid 16x9. Next to it is a fuchs 15x8. Lower right is a 15x6 (deep). Then in white is a real 16x9.

Name:  IMAG0357.jpg
Views: 3727
Size:  104.7 KB
    - Josh
    - '72 911t
    - '81 euro SC

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 3346
Size:  68.9 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 3261
Size:  87.7 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 3317
Size:  80.7 KBHere's some pics of the Zuffenhaus'

Here's some pics of a real 4.5"x15 Fuchs vs a Flat4 version. The Flat4 seems to be slightly wider than the OG wheel.

Cheers
    Cam

The replicas sold by Empi and Flat 4 are reasonably accurate on the 15 X 4-1/2 and 15 X 5-1/2" versions. the 15 X 6" is way off (inner portion of 'petals' is too wide and petals are squared off too much).

The Euromeister 16" replicas are very very accurate except for surface finish.

The Zuffenhaus wheels pictured above look just as good in person.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

I have to wade in on this.

The Zuffenhaus wheels are not (and don't pretend to be) replicas. They are forged 2 piece 17" rims available with an original style lip or a more standard non-Fuchs look lip. They are high quality and priced accordingly.

Of the one piece 'replica' wheels, you will really struggle to find one which is not low pressure cast. Fuchs are forged - there really isn't a comparison. The replicas are made in a variety of places with many sourced in low labour cost countries. Rota from the Philippines being a good example - http://jalopnik.com/knockoff-wheelma...eel-1137837262 and
    Name:  rota6.jpg
Views: 3082
Size:  48.5 KB
    Early S #2826

Garage:
    '73 E (2.7RS replica) - sold
    '94 968 Clubsport M030 - sold
    '67 250SE Cabriolet - sold
    '71 Skyline GT - sold
    '69 911S - sold
    '73 911T/RS

I run a set of 6x15 Maxilite wheels since early last year. They are machined from aluminum and come with a TÜV certificate. Actually, they are lighter than my original deep 6 Fuchs wheels and come with hump, so no need for tubes. And I would not bet on superior stability of 47 year old Fuchs wheels.

Now for the curious part: the Maxilites come polished and unpainted but Fuchs themselves were ready to refinish them to a factory look!

Name:  sDSCF5733.jpg
Views: 3223
Size:  217.6 KB

Name:  sDSCF5734.jpg
Views: 3109
Size:  223.7 KB
    Keep up the speed!

Anatol

'68 911S coupe
    '92 964 RS NGT
    '09 987S Boxster