Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Metallic Gold the "worst" color?

There is a theme here - whether worst, 2nd worst, or 3rd worst, they are all some sort of brownish color. Not that there aren't some beautiful browns.

Personally I'd pick gold as worst or 2nd worst; worse than sand, maybe worse than baby poosepia.
    Last edited by 37yrold911; 11-16-2014 at 04:23 PM.

Gold 911

Wasn't looking for 'gold' originally but have become rather attached after 8 years.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Eric

ESR #1610
    1973 911T 3.2 RS Clone
    1971 911S 2.4 MFI
    1970 Datsun 510 Vintage Racer

Hey, that garage looks familiar. I'll admit when I first was sent this car from Bob I didn't love the color but after we painted it and I've spent some time with this car the color has grown on me. It's a very classic and classy color. Not to mention this car is in such great condition and a real time capsule.
    Quote Originally Posted by RTincher View Post
    Metallic Gold has clearly never been one of the popular colors on longhoods, but in the right conditions can be absolutely beautiful. I've had a low mileage, very original, extremely well-optioned Gold Metallic '71T for the better part of 20 years, and still have mixed emotions. It is obviously not a "sports purpose" candidate, and I don't personally think it does well in bright sun. But in low light conditions , it is gorgeous. I think of it as a rich, gentlemanly, striking but subdued personality. Mine is currently being returned carefully to it's original glory. It's a good counterbalance to the boldness of my Viper Green E.

Attachment 312568
    72S, 72T now ST

member #1515
    Quote Originally Posted by popowitz View Post
    I love metallic gold. And I think the rarity of the color certainly helped that '74 coupe sell for north of 130K on Ebay a few weeks back.
    That car was Olive not Gold
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    There is no way that Metallic Gold could dethrone Sepia Brown as the worst color.

Not even a debate here.

Like most metallics gold can look magnificent when presented in bristol condition.

But when it's aged, faded, and clear coat is showing its age it doesn't fair so well.
    +2
    I just can't figure out the appeal of Sepia. I suspect it has become desirable to a select few which is why I've seen several sepia longhoods come up for sale recently. Dump them for a nice profit while you can before they fall completely out of fashion again. I flushed a prettier color this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by RSTarga View Post
    That car was Olive not Gold
    Really? I need to have my eyes checked or get a new monitor.
    Registry Member #1583
    '73 911 S Aubergine (VIN#9113301295)

In the late 1960s-early 1970s Brown was a very desired color on cars!

Every Mercedes was dark brown (like my 71 280SL) and they look great! Plus there were lots of Root Beer Brown (Metallic Brown) Speedsters running around LA at the time. And there were also lots of Sepia brown Porsches sold at the time.

But Porsche screwed up with Sepia Brown (AKA Baby Sh!t brown) it was too light...

Quote Originally Posted by edesign45 View Post
    Wasn't looking for 'gold' originally but have become rather attached after 8 years.
    Your car is gorgeous Eric...Looks even better in person.

Hey nothing wrong with a brown car- I just have to be careful when I go to UPS,
    Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658

Why do you need to be careful at UPS? Isn't that big flat area on the back of the Porsche with the rubber boarder for caring large packages? :-)
    Last edited by execmalibu; 11-16-2014 at 09:32 PM.