Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Is Metallic Gold the "worst" color?

Banned
    Stand firm Jim! Don't be a loose stool and let peer pressure or your environment affect your conviction and constitution.

Sepia Brown always puts a smile on my face when I see ........
    Last edited by Chuck Miller; 11-18-2014 at 12:05 PM. Reason: cute....

Who doesn't love Metallic Gold!
    Cornwall
    UK

The only 911 I've owned painted a color I loathed was raspberry rose, it was just too pink. I love metallic gold.
    Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658

I met a guy who had a recently re-painted metallic gold car. It was really striking in person.
    He told me the car had to be re-painted 3 times to get the color just right. Apparently it's really tough to get the right formulation.
    Can anyone who has successfully re-painted in gold share what paint they used? Or any similar experiences?

Quote Originally Posted by LeftFootBraker View Post
    I met a guy who had a recently re-painted metallic gold car. It was really striking in person.
    He told me the car had to be re-painted 3 times to get the color just right. Apparently it's really tough to get the right formulation.
    Can anyone who has successfully re-painted in gold share what paint they used? Or any similar experiences?
    I faced this challenge with Gemini Blue Metallic recently. Only solution is the Glasurit -- which is amazingly expensive.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Gris View Post
    Only solution is the Glasurit -- which is amazingly expensive.
    Currently doing two cars in single stage Light Ivory Glaso.
    Expensive but impeccable. And provides bragging rights for the owners.

So you just order Glasurit in the Porsche code and that's it?
    Is a '72 in metallic gold a single stage or clear coat paint?
    You say it's expensive - how much for the paint only?

Banned
    Solids are single stage, metallics two stage.
    About $3k in paint/reducer/primer.

Thought Metallic Gold was nasty until Zach Mayne did a shoot on a restored 911T for Excellence. I became a believer, and right quick, as the car was just stunning. The 3.2-liter RS tribute in this thread is stunning, too.

Same thing has happened for me with a lot of Porsche colors, from beiges to purples to pinks, etc. All it takes is one "right" car. Taste is a funny thing; presentation can be everything, and then the memory of that moment opens the mind when presented with the next variation.

pete

Nice example of metallic gold . . .

Name:  73_911T_Gold_Coupe_1.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  114.5 KB

Name:  73_911T_Gold_Coupe_5.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  103.1 KB

Name:  73_911T_Gold_Coupe_7.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  103.6 KB

Name:  73_911T_Gold_Coupe_3.jpg