Thread: 1969 911S Targa

Post 1969 911S Targa

1969 911S Targa

Need some directions
    Have a 1969 - 911S Targa
    Restored the car over 5 years
    The original engine could not be rebuilt
    I finally found a original 1969 - 911S engine case (number matches for a S - 1969) and rebuild the engine
    Now I am with original 1969 911S with an original 1969 - 911S engine fitted
    To the point - I am considering to sell the car - everybody tells me no matching numbers and dropping the price drastically- I am wondering how much closer can you get - i.e. if you have to exchange an engine
    Is this really such a big issue?
    Who knows or can advise this regards
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by adamart View Post
    1969 911S Targa

To the point - I am considering to sell the car - everybody tells me no matching numbers and dropping the price drastically- I am wondering how much closer can you get - i.e. if you have to exchange an engine
    Is this really such a big issue?
    Who knows or can advise this regards
    Martin
    I have discussed this issue with friends on many occasions over the years, usually with an adult beverage in hand. The general consensus was that it affects the value more than it should. But the fact is that it does, particularly on special models like E's and S's. Not having the original engine also limits the number of buyers because there are many people who will not consider a non-numbers matching car - particularly "investment level" cars like E an S models. Where it gets more controversial is - How much? Some people I've discussed it with feel it's only 10-15%, others 30% or more, but most including myself figure 20-25%.

I recently faced this same problem. I purchased a barn find 1968 911S SWT earlier this year. In the final stages of the transaction it became apparent that the car had a replacement case. I bought the car anyhow because it's an incredible find and still a decent deal. Also a model thats been on my wish list for over 35 years. But when it came time to insure the car I had to face facts when determining the value and concluded that it would be about a $40,000-$50,000 drop in value. The good news in my case is that almost by accident I discovered my original engine in a friends shop.
    Last edited by L.a.Brooks; 11-25-2014 at 07:31 AM.