Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Funding your obsession?!

Banned
    Good times... that dung beetle reminds me of the CrossFit schmos in our neighborhood. They’ll lift/push anything to get a workout in.

Rick,
    For 30k are you including T-bodies and MFI pump?

Everything

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    . . . For 30k are you including T-bodies and MFI pump? . . .
    Everything's getting done, Frank --- total zero-time. Using, Ollie's, Gus, Eurometrix --- all the usual suspects . . . with Marco quarter-backing. Pistons-cum-barrels look to be the biggest head-ache. And Gus + Eurometrix = 6-to-8 months. We'll re-con the rods, and hope that the crank specs-out OK. But Marco has a good feeling

After 48-plus years --- + almost three trips around the odo . . . Nasty Car put down 145 hp at the rear wheels

Quote Originally Posted by merbesfield View Post
    . . . like you are going to rebuild your engine and not bother powder coating the engine tin. whats that like $300.00. think again. ;-) . . .
    Like, yup

It's not about the money, Mark . . . I just don't do shiny. Everything I have just gets used, anyway, so --- even if it starts out perfect . . . it just won't last. Not with me, anyway. I'm more interested in something that works and that I can use. Anything shiny is an accident, pretty-much

Besides --- any finishes that 've survived this long? . . . will just have t' last a while longer. Like the crusty carpets, those infernal door pouches, the de-constructing upholstery . . . and that glorious cracked dash

I love 'used' . . . . almost as much as 'using'

I'm an idiot . . .

. . . but/hey --- just check-out that NOS coil!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LongRanger; 08-08-2018 at 07:47 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

I understand. My S is very similar w no carpet at DS cracked dash and ratty orig. leather. My friends think I’m nuts. I drive. If I make it all perfect then I might worry about it. But I did do my tin bc it was easy and cheap and didn’t take any time. GL w motor. Going to be a nice one.
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    Pistons-cum-barrels look to be the biggest head-ache.

Hate to get in the middle of these but ... you posted it.

Pistons and cylinders are an absolute NO BRAINER with a 2.2S. You have your choice: German made Mahle Motorsports 10.3:1 which you can easily shim to 9.8 or the "other", stock 9.8 Mahles. Both are excellent and work well on street motors.

So...

why the headache?

Hate to get in the middle of these but ... you posted it.

Pistons and cylinders are an absolute NO BRAINER with a 2.2S. You have your choice: German made Mahle Motorsports 10.3:1 which you can easily shim to 9.8 or the "other", stock 9.8 Mahles. Both are excellent and work well on street motors.

So...

why the headache?
    No headache. At least, not for me....

Not sure what that was about. Maybe a misunderstanding of the road ahead.

I’m trying to convince him to stroke it and make it a high-comp 2.4L.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Kooky

Quote Originally Posted by Mr9146 View Post
    . . . No headache. At least, not for me . . .
    That's because of $, mostly --- + availability. Wanna stick w/the stock Mahle bits. Didn't sound like this stuff was exactly 'on-the-shelf

Quote Originally Posted by Mr9146 View Post
    . . . trying to convince him to stroke it and make it a high-comp 2.4L. . . .
    'At's sooooo not happening. Trying to keep her as kooky as she came from the Faktory

We Can Be Heroes

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...p/t-57305.html

"We hear a lot about how short strokes "spin up" better. Sure, maybe under no load... But the weight of the car, the power available, and its ability to accelerate that car determine how fast any given motor "spins up". The motor with more torque wins this one, given equal gearing and car weight.

Piston speed is not the limiting factor regarding how high we can rev these motors, at least until we are well up over the 8,000 rpm range. The valve train will be the limiting factor. Rocker arm strength and valve spring rate, or their ability to keep the valves from floating, becomes the issue long before a 66mm vs. 70.4mm stroke comes into play.

So, unless the plan is to build some 8,500 rpm screamer of a time bomb (with a very short fuse), I would choose the long stroke. Just my opinion, but I think its advantages in the real world indicate it's the better choice."

Banned
    Probably as good a thread as any to offend people...

Regarding short vs long stroke; the vast majority of Porsche drivers couldn’t capitalize on the positives of either platform if their life depended on it. The other 1% have my due respect.

This is a discussion mainly for entertainment.

Unless it's a race car being driven in fairly capable hands, it just doesn't matter. Cams and compression are far more critical than stroke and bore on a 2.5.
    Last edited by Frank Beck; 08-13-2018 at 05:42 AM.

This is a discussion mainly for entertainment.

Unless it's a race car being driven in fairly capable hands, it just doesn't matter. Cams and compression are far more critical than stroke and bore on a 2.5.
    Unusual 48 Packard that doesn't rev very high. What the compression is, perhaps 7 : 1

Wondering if the torque is around 700 ft/lb.

...$750 yard sale.

packard 7.jpg

packard 8.jpg