Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Funding your obsession?!

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    First step,,,,no joint checking accounts!! Second step and even better is to get her involved, then she wants new autocross rubber rather than a couch
    Well I'm screwed!

-Kav

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    First step,,,,no joint checking accounts!! Second step and even better is to get her involved, then she wants new autocross rubber rather than a couch
    Yup, Ed, that's my approach. At least one of those steps.
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

37yrold911
    I de-restore my car by making it as incorrect as possible (to get better performance). That means I take off stock parts and sell them for high prices to buy cheaper (but better) parts from later years or in the aftermarket.

I can relate.
    Chris

I gave up cars totally for more than five years to justify the expense. And wrote about it for money. http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...a_porsche.html

Now my "driver" is a POS $5,000 Dodge Caravan. So I drive the Porsche for fun and spend as little as possible on "transportation."

But my Porsche was also relatively inexpensive -- a '66 912 conversion.

Scooters, Huh? . . .

Quote Originally Posted by kav View Post
    . . . Doing the math on a restoration, this is a very expensive obsession. How do we all do it? . . .

This could be my big regret (if it hits the ridiculous reserve!) :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191422193004...84.m1555.l2649
    . . .
    Mill Valley?

. . . Mill Valley, CA Income and Salaries. The income per capita is $76,936, which includes all adults and children. The median household income is $116,983 . . .

Skip the scooters . . . . buy a Porsche

We Can Be Heroes

So pimping out sisters, selling crack to underprivileged school kids and robbing Boston area Brinks trucks wasn't in the cards? Man, I'm sure going about this the wrong way!

Shift Knob Maker
    I started out with a later car that I owned and improved for 13 years, bought the early car as a rolling project from someone else. Then took both cars apart, sold off all the parts I don't need which got me my 70 tub for fee!! I have done absolutely as much work myself as I can. Fortunately I have 20 years experience of working on 911's so I have most of the tools and experience needed.
    Little bit at a time as funds and schedule allow. Mine will not be as nice as a lot of the ones on here, but it's as nice as I can do..
    Also, I NEVER ever total up the receipts.. or let my wife know where they are..

Don't ask, don't tell, just drive. I did my 71e with 73rs styling, did a bit of a rest mod, and put close to 5,000 miles on it a year, and try not to think about what I have put into it. I got the car about 9 years ago.
    Last edited by drwhosc; 11-27-2014 at 05:15 AM.
    -----

71 911E RS Clone (Analog)
    88 928 S4 (V8 Trans Axle)
    99 996 (Daily Beater)

Early S Registry # 1278

I work on the cars as much as possible as well and things seem to take a long time, but that's how it is. Squirreling away money from things bought and sold. The separate checking account is an absolute must and one of the best things a good friend recommended long ago.
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"

sold an unfinished projekt to start a new project that i`ll never finish and later on will sell for a new project that i`ll never finish.....