Thread: Opinions please re: undercarriage finish?

Opinions please re: undercarriage finish?

I am currently building a 3.2L ss hotrod based on a very clean 1970T which came with its matching numbered motor and trans (now all wrapped on a couple of pallets) It was initially Signal Orange from the factory but i bought it recently with very well done butt welded turbo/RSR steel flares and it is now Polar Silver.

My question is that i have cleaned and scrubbed all the sprayed on oil undercoating and found an incredibly rust free undercarriage. Other than some silver overspray from the repaint it is mostly original looking Wurth Schutz and signal orange overspray with drips and areas of black coating which i assume is from the factory?

I would love to go back to the original Signal Orange at some point but not now as my build budget doesn't allow for it. I am about to install all the RSR shocks and struts and sway bars but am on the fence as to just leave it as is (and touch up the odd spot where the Wurth Schutz has come loose) OR do i clean up the appearance of it and spray the wheel wells with a satin black paint of some sort?

This is my first big early 911 project so any opinions would be appreciated.

thanks,

Paul
    Attached Images Attached Images      

No opinions?

I know this isn't exactly an exciting thread.

Basically are the wheel wells from the factory just the grey/beige schutz or were they painted black in 1970?

I would first check that all of underseal is in good order with no metal exposure, repair as necessary and then paint black for a nice clean look.

The arches would have been black originally anyway on 70MY and you can always take off this paint at a later date if you plan to go another route.

Nice looking project btw

Thanks Darren,

I will repair the few spots where the undercoating came off and do as you suggested.

It should be a fun project to create...the last Porsche i had to create was this:
    Name:  Death Race Vehicles  2.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  107.1 KBName:  Death Race Vehicles  3.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  103.8 KB

Holly crap, a Porsche of mass destruction

What's the quarter mile time on this one? More details needed... Probably covered here already... It that matching numbers?

Cheers!!!!

Cool Porsche, looks like its ready for Battle. Was it for a movie or just fun?
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"

It was used in a movie called "Death Race". A remake of the original sadly without the same humor.

We actually made 3 of them. Each one made for a specific stunt or gag. I only remembered it as the pic of my car in the shop in the OP has 3 cards on the wall stating Hero car, Pyro Car and Stunt car from ages ago as a souvenirs.

I was the production designer on the film shot in Montreal and i was in charge of designing all the vehicles as well as the sets. We had and amazing team of fabricators working around the clock to keep them all going as the stunt teams would damage them every day often unintentionally.

At some point i should try to dig up the old photos of the making of these Porsches and post them for fun....a build thread so to speak.

The cars were horrible to drive as they were heavy (the thick steel plates and welds were all fake however) and had awful visibility.