Thread: Philosophical question on value of (very) early 911 engine

Philosophical question on value of (very) early 911 engine

Lets suppose you had the engine for one of the first 200 911s made... and opened up the spigots and made extensive performance modifications to increase the horsepower by 60% or so... so that making the engine appear original would require installing sand cast chain boxes. center-lube cams and Solexes... but it was still an altered engine.

With all the period correct parts (provided but not installed), what value "hit" would this engine take over another decent-running 64 engine?

Asking for a friend... :-)
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

A similar case was recently offered for 2500 euros by a fellow list member. It was sold, at least pending, to an UK dealer.

Two other cases (no. 39 and 46?) of which one was repaired were sold for $18K (both) to the US.

The long block for car #100 was sold for approx $22K

Richard
    searching for engine (case) 903742

Thank you. I know (bare) case #274 has been advertised at a ludicrous $49K for several years, so real sale numbers help a lot.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Gris View Post
    Thank you. I know (bare) case #274 has been advertised at a ludicrous $49K for several years, so real sale numbers help a lot.
    If I recall correctly are there currently about 25 engines more than cars from 64.

Unless some parties are 'recreating' them, good chances are that there will always be a surplus in 64 (and even 901) cases / engines.

BTW a 64 engine differs, besides date stapms, on a few counts w/ a say early 65 and later alu engine. Finding the right parts might be a true challenge.

Richard
    searching for engine (case) 903742

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Gris View Post
    Lets suppose you had the engine for one of the first 200 911s made... and opened up the spigots and made extensive performance modifications to increase the horsepower by 60% or so... so that making the engine appear original would require installing sand cast chain boxes. center-lube cams and Solexes... but it was still an altered engine.

With all the period correct parts (provided but not installed), what value "hit" would this engine take over another decent-running 64 engine?

Asking for a friend... :-)
    I don't have a guess as to the value of a complete engine. But, I was one of three folks looking at a (1965) engine at an open house associated with the 2014 Lit Meet. The other two opined that the Solex carburetors alone (including manifolds, linkages, tandem pump, and probably air cleaner) would be worth over $ 5,000. Maybe it was over $ 6,000...

160% of 130 DIN hp is 208 DIN hp, which is right about the maximum Porsche ever extracted from a full-race two liter engine for a 911R, 906, or 910. It's not impossible, but it's certainly ambitious. There has to be a limited market for an engine which may need a rebuild every 30-40 running hours.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

As Richard said, there are far more 1964 engines than cars. I sourced four or five of these in the last years, but it was difficult to sell them for a decent price. A 1965 engine is much easier because the group of potential buyers is much bigger. There's only 75 or so 1964 cars left in the world. I sold them between 20 and 30.000 euros - the last one was a complete engine with Solexes etc. Since the matching car of this engine is probably not around any more I would not care too much about the internals. 130 hp is not much fun for a driver's car.

Erik

Quote Originally Posted by preS View Post
    A similar case was recently offered for 2500 euros by a fellow list member. It was sold, at least pending, to an UK dealer.
    Richard
    Richard, we still have it :-). The UK dealer never took over and it went back to Switzerland.
    However, the owner, a friend of mine prefers to keep/sell the whole package and not just the case.
    Agree, it was about 2.5k for the certified built 64 901 case and the whole package price was about what Erik stated.

Looks like that was the fate of a lot of these early engines, power increased, bored out etc for racing etc.,
    Registry member No.773

Quote Originally Posted by 911T1971 View Post
    . . . we still have it :-). The UK dealer never took over and it went back to Switzerland.
    However, the owner, a friend of mine prefers to keep/sell the whole package and not just the case . . .
    Interesting, Karim

Did this 'package' ever sell? . . . been a few years, I know

Also curious what's happened with the values

We Can Be Heroes