Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1973 Oil Tank Questions

member #1515
    Here is a good shot of the 73 tank mounted with no hoses
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Quote Originally Posted by Marek View Post
    Yes Correct and.. was the 73,5 different and the one I was ref to as a 73 , I got a OK from high places :-) that this ALSO ( the one on my pic ) is a 73 one year only tank
    Hi Marek,

My apologies, I just compared your first photo to a '74 tank and I now see that the bottom portion is shorter on that tank, it just has the newer style filter console. So based on your comment "I got a OK from high places", are you saying that some '73 tanks were delivered with the newer style filter console?

Sorry for so many questions, I'm just trying to avoid purchasing the incorrect tank for my '73.

-Frank
    '73 RoW 911T (project)
    '77 911S
    Early911SReg #2945

member #1515
    Frank,
    My car was May production and still came with the separate oil filter console. If they did change, it had to be at the very tail of production. I don't know how that would have worked with the inner fender hole, as the console extension is needed to clear the inner fender stamping.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

mine was a june production (60 from the end of the E's) and it is like davids
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

David, Hugh;

Thanks for providing some data points for these tanks as having the separate oil filter console up to the end of production. Can either of you confirm that the overall shape of your tank is the same as the one for which I posted the pictures? Looking at the picture David posted (thanks David), it appears that the mounting tabs at the top have a different shape, and the tank contour near the inlet fitting appears to be different. The seams, tabs and bottom contour on David's tank look very much like the tank for my '77. David, if possible would you be able to post a picture of the tank bottom showing the inlet & outlet area?

The date stamp of the level sending unit on the tank I posted is 7.72, so this would have been a very early production '73 tank, and perhaps the tank stamping changed as they neared the end of production to be more like the '74 tanks?

Also, are the pre-74 tanks copper plated steel, or all copper? I'm trying to determine if the corrosion in the picture I posted is rusted steel (after the copper plating failed), or corroded copper.

-Frank
    '73 RoW 911T (project)
    '77 911S
    Early911SReg #2945

Quote Originally Posted by RSTarga View Post
    I don't know how that would have worked with the inner fender hole, as the console extension is needed to clear the inner fender stamping.
    David,

I was thinking about your comment above, and the fact that the same rubber gasket between the tank & fender (911.107.192.03) is used for both '73 & '74+, and decided to go take a look at the inner fender area on my '73 and '77 to see if there was any difference . I did not notice any difference between the two stampings, and the '77 would obviously use the later style oil tank with the integrated filter console. As Gled stated, this is a bit of a pain when changing oil, and the separate console would avoid oil dripping into the gasket when removing the filter.

Here are photos of the two areas:

'73 (sorry for the dirt - haven't started working on this one yet)
    Name:  IMG_3199.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  112.7 KB

'77
    Name:  IMG_3198.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  110.8 KB
    '73 RoW 911T (project)
    '77 911S
    Early911SReg #2945

Quote Originally Posted by Marek View Post
    This on your pic ,is the one we are finishing off right now, it have the same housing as the 65-71 tanks we just finished ( pic of the copper plated 65-71 housing ) just another placement of the inlet neck offcause
    Marek,

I was just re-reading your post, and I believe I may have misunderstood the above statement when I first read it. Are you saying that you will soon have a '73 tank available that is the same as the one in the photo I posted (same size/shape and separate filter console as '71, but with fixed filler neck)? If so, do you have a price set yet? I would need to compare this to the cost of used tank that I am considering.

I would just need to make sure the '73 console is not NLA.

Thanks,
    Frank
    '73 RoW 911T (project)
    '77 911S
    Early911SReg #2945

frank
    my car is a long way away at present but i thought i had a photo somewhere - looks like i dont. From memory i think it is the same as your post 7 pictures except it does not have a thermostat for external oil lines.
    from memory my mounting tabs are identical to your photo.
    there are 2 types and the sporto ones are different (mine is not a sporto). Also I had a pinhole leak or two a few years ago (why i thought i had pictures) and had it fixed at a radiator shop. mine is copper coated - not all copper and black paint over that.
    Last edited by HughH; 12-20-2014 at 08:36 PM.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

It would seem there may have been 3, maybe 4 oil tanks in 1973. The PET shows one with a separate oil console. There is one with an intergral oil console as shown in the Mareks repro and a NOS I found in an old FS add, and the '73.5 CIS with an integral oil console. My '73.5, and was steel with no copper plating. There is also an ad in the FS section that has no fitting for the oil level sensor, so perhaps 4 types?

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...85-73-oil-tank

PET
    Name:  73OilTank.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  83.1 KB

Early '73 with separate console, copper plate, from FS ad.
    Same as frankc post #7 pics.
    Name:  photo+11349721678.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  49.1 KB

NOS from FS ad like Mareks repro.
    Name:  NOS73S.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  79.8 KB

'73.5 with mesh guard from FS ad.
    Name:  102_13601282775171.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  62.7 KB

My 73.5 being restored.
    Name:  Oil 013.JPG
Views: 280
Size:  58.7 KB
    E Sully
    1973.5 911T

Quote Originally Posted by frankc View Post
    Marek,
    Are you saying that you will soon have a '73 tank available that is the same as the one in the photo I posted (same size/shape and separate filter console as '71, but with fixed filler neck)? If so, do you have a price set yet? I would need to compare this to the cost of used tank that I am considering.

I would just need to make sure the '73 console is not NLA.

Thanks,
    Frank
    Hi Frank ,

Thats correct, I think in a good months time the 73 ( the console version) is ready , priced at 550 EURO

I also made the console priced at 150 EURO and they are ready now , just took a picture of one at my desk ( sorry the quality )

Will post it, in the for sale section later today , but comes complete with gasket

Regards
    Marek
    Attached Images Attached Images