Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1973 Oil Tank Questions

1973 Oil Tank Questions

I know that the '73 911s had a one year only oil tank (911.107.006.11) that is somewhat a hybrid of the '71 & '74 tanks (copper tank with separate filter console similar to '71, clamp-on S-hose, oil filter size & fixed filler tube from '74), but I have seen many suppliers selling the '74+ style stainless steel tank for '73 - '89 cars. Plus, I have seen '74 style tanks in some '73s.

So I have two questions:

1) Were some late build '73s equipped with the '74 style tank? That is, was the '74 style tank ever "correct" for a '73?

2) Is the '74 style tank is a direct fit replacement (appears to be)?

The answer to these questions will help guide me on my decision to use the extra '74 tank I have, or try to find an original '73 for my '73 project.

Thanks,
    Frank
    Last edited by frankc; 12-19-2014 at 10:03 PM.
    '73 RoW 911T (project)
    '77 911S
    Early911SReg #2945

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    The 74 tank was never installed in 73 cars. The tank is longer/lower by about an inch, it has an extra Qt of capacity. The rear 1/4 valance on the 74's is lower to cover the tank or vice versa, they install a larger tank because it would be covered by the valance. The later tank will show just a little below the 73 bumper. Gled

73 Oil tank

FYI

I got new REPRO´s on stock at 550 EURO + postage

Drop me a email if you are interested at early911parts@gmail.com

Regards

Marek
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by gled49 View Post
    The 74 tank was never installed in 73 cars. The tank is longer/lower by about an inch, it has an extra Qt of capacity. The rear 1/4 valance on the 74's is lower to cover the tank or vice versa, they install a larger tank because it would be covered by the valance. The later tank will show just a little below the 73 bumper.
    Gled,
    Thanks for pointing out the difference in the shape/capacity. I saw that the '73 tanks did not have the stamping for the two lines near the tank inlet, but I never noticed that it was a little shorter at the bottom as well.

Can the copper tanks be repaired easily? Many I've seen have corrosion.

Quote Originally Posted by Marek View Post
    I got new REPRO´s on stock at 550 EURO + postage
    Marek,
    The tank in your photo appears to be a '74+ tank. Can you confirm?

-Frank
    '73 RoW 911T (project)
    '77 911S
    Early911SReg #2945

HI Frank

it should be a 73 one year only , But I do also got the 74 + with the screw on cap ( see pic )

Same price :-)

Marek

member #1515
    The 73 tank has the one year only thermostat at the bottom of the tank. Different to the 74 where the thermostat is mounted forward of the rear wheel.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Quote Originally Posted by Marek View Post
    it should be a 73 one year only , But I do also got the 74 + with the screw on cap ( see pic )
    Marek,

What I believe is a '73 tank is shown in the photo below. Notice that the oil filter console is separate instead of being integrated into the tank as with the '74+.
    Name:  1973 Oil Tank 2.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  129.0 KB

Also, as Gled pointed out, the '73 tank is a bit shorter on the bottom. Compare the bottom portion of the tank in the photo below with the one in your photo and can see the difference I am referring to.
    Name:  1973 Oil Tank 1.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  117.4 KB
    '73 RoW 911T (project)
    '77 911S
    Early911SReg #2945

Quote Originally Posted by RSTarga View Post
    The 73 tank has the one year only thermostat at the bottom of the tank. Different to the 74 where the thermostat is mounted forward of the rear wheel.
    David,
    Yes, I agree that the aux thermostat is mounted at the tank for '73, but I don't believe that the tank itself is any different to accommodate this (same tank part number in PET). It appears that the thermostat simply mounts to the tank inlet fitting. Is this your understanding as well?

Btw, to me this seems like a horrible place to mount the thermostat, which is probably why they moved it forward of the wheel in '74.

Name:  AVPageView 12202014 30051 PM.bmp.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  36.3 KB
    '73 RoW 911T (project)
    '77 911S
    Early911SReg #2945

Yes Correct and.. was the 73,5 different and the one I was ref to as a 73 , I got a OK from high places :-) that this ALSO ( the one on my pic ) is a 73 one year only tank

could it be a late 73 with the old type neck and overlap the 74

This on your pic ,is the one we are finishing off right now, it have the same housing as the 65-71 tanks we just finished ( pic of the copper plated 65-71 housing )

just another placement of the inlet neck offcause

Marek

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    I read my copy of 74 service info which discuses the change to the 74 model year, including the oil system. The governor housing (thermostat) has been moved to front of the wheel box, a safety valve has been added to the thermostat, the front cooler pipes have a direct connection (no hoses) and oil filter connects directly to tank without console. Because of no console the filter has been changed from a 916.107 to a 911.107, the relief valve set into the filter has been changed. The 916 filter may no longer be used for 2.7 engines. The new filter can be used on the 2.4's. The new oil tank can be recognized on the recess for the right rebound tube or bumper shock and cannot be built into earlier models.(this we know not to be true). The 73 thermostat will mount to the 74 tank. I find the console spacing of the 73 tank arrangement to be more friendly for oil clean up. The 74 system always dumps oil down into the gasket, nearly impossible to clean it all up. Gled