Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 1973 Oil Tank Questions

Quote Originally Posted by ESully View Post
    It would seem there may have been 3, maybe 4 oil tanks in 1973. The PET shows one with a separate oil console. There is one with an intergral oil console as shown in the Mareks repro and a NOS I found in an old FS add, and the '73.5 CIS with an integral oil console. My '73.5, and was steel with no copper plating. There is also an ad in the FS section that has no fitting for the oil level sensor, so perhaps 4 types?
    E Sully,
    Thanks for summarizing - I was coming to the same conclusion. And with David's (RSTarga) picture of a tank with the later style tabs, but (as he states) a separate filter console, possibly a fifth type?

Looking at the pictures of the 73.5 tanks posted here, I don't see any difference from the '74 tank. Below is picture of the tank for my '77, and as far as I can tell, it looks the same as the 73.5. Can somebody point out the difference? I spoke to a friend who has owned a US 73.5 since the early 80s, so its very likely the original tank. He said that it has the integral filter console, but does not hang below the bumper.

Which brings me to another question. It is my understanding that the term "73.5" is only applicable to the US CIS cars. That is, referring back to David and Hugh's posts of having late build 73s, if these were RoW cars without CIS, they would be referred to as simply '73, correct? And if that is the case, did the late build RoW '73 cars get a different oil tank (separate filter console per David) than the US 73.5 cars? If so, why? I can't think of any reason why the CIS would need a different filter console.

Since my '73 is a somewhat early build (Coupe #270), I assume that the correct type of tank for it would be the one in my post #7?

What I thought would be some simple research into '73 oil tanks has turned out to be an adventure, but hopefully this thread will help document the various '73 oil tanks.

74+ Oil Tank (cleaned by Pacific Oil Cooler and powder coated):
    Name:  IMG_3202.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  93.9 KB
    Last edited by frankc; 12-21-2014 at 10:27 AM.
    '73 RoW 911T (project)
    '77 911S
    Early911SReg #2945

Quote Originally Posted by Marek View Post
    Thats correct, I think in a good months time the 73 ( the console version) is ready , priced at 550 EURO

I also made the console priced at 150 EURO and they are ready now , just took a picture of one at my desk ( sorry the quality )

Will post it, in the for sale section later today , but comes complete with gasket
    Marek,
    This is very good news. Your price is not too much more than the price of the used tank that I am considering, so I am looking forward to seeing photos when it is finished.

-Frank
    '73 RoW 911T (project)
    '77 911S
    Early911SReg #2945

member #1515
    Frank,
    The tank in your post #7 is identical to the tank on my 73S Targa May build. Weird all these different tanks for 1 year.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    I've never seen a non oil filter console tank in a 73. If someone has one, photos would be great. Be sure to post pix of bottom from rear to rule out a 74 tank, they show a little under the bumper. And yes lots of tanks. With sender, without sender and Sporto tanks have the 2 extra fittings. I wouldn't of gussed 73.5 tank was different. Original parts book only shows 2, regular and sporto. Gled

For what it's worth ... the Konradsheim Carrera RS book mentions the following "June 29,1973 Oil filter replaced by filter originally designed for G model. July 10, 1973 Last day of production."
    Looking for Porsche motor, engine, case 902173 3880016 6300080 6301557 6308504 6310001 6310922 6311032 6520673

which ones have the stone guard wire mesh screen on them?

Quote Originally Posted by gled49 View Post
    I've never seen a non oil filter console tank in a 73. If someone has one, photos would be great.
    Gled,
    See the second photo in post #19 (also Marek's reproduction in post #3). These tanks look like '74 tanks at the top, but '71 tanks (shorter) at the bottom. What I'd like to know is when these tanks were used. Were they only used for the last 10 days of production as quoted by gdscntry? Perhaps all replacement tanks were of this type, which is why they seem to be more common than one would expect if only installed the last 10 production days.

Perhaps a survey of '73 owners asking what style tank in their cars, along with production date, would shed some light on this.
    '73 RoW 911T (project)
    '77 911S
    Early911SReg #2945

I find this interesting. My car has a 7/73 compliance sticker. My tank and quite a few other '73 CIS resemble the 1974, although I don't know if the dimensions are the same. Many of the components of the late '73.5 CIS were the same as the early '74. Porsche was known to mix stock. Some '73.5 had Black shrouds, some Yellow.
    I would think the early '73's had the separate console. In these pictures you can see the separate oil filter consoles. One is 5/73 compliance, second is 3 numbers before mine on the VIN plate, but has no compliance sticker due to a repaint. The third is the '74. It is difficult to get dimensions with it mounted, but mine is about 19" from tip of top flange to bottom of lower flange. Can someone measure a late tank to see if it is the same?
    Name:  5_73_1973.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  63.0 KB
    Name:  7_1973.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  164.9 KB
    Name:  74Oil.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  98.9 KB
    E Sully
    1973.5 911T

ESully,

The tank in that third picture is my '74 tank, and I measure ~19 inches on the side you marked. So you are saying that the same measurement on your 73.5 CIS tank is also 19 inches? If so, then the 73.5 and '74 tanks are the same? Could those that mentioned that the 73.5 tanks were different comment on this?
    '73 RoW 911T (project)
    '77 911S
    Early911SReg #2945

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147

73 Coinsole oil tank

Here are some photos of 73 tank with screen and console, also 74 as pictured above. My drain plug is the late one with the 15mm hex, I put a level on bottom of drain plug straight back to bumper bottom, almost level. + 73 tank out of the car. Gled
    Attached Images Attached Images