Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 1973 Oil Tank Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Marek View Post
    HI Frank

it should be a 73 one year only , But I do also got the 74 + with the screw on cap ( see pic )

Same price :-)

Marek
    Marek,
    Your pictured tank would seem to be Sportmatic with the extra fittings, but I don't see a screw cap type in the PET. The cap for the '73 and later style are the same part number.
    "June 29,1973 Oil filter replaced by filter originally designed for G model. July 10, 1973 Last day of production."
    It would seem most of the '73 cars had the 911 107 006 11 tank with separate console. I don't know if there is a difference between my tank and the '74 or not. It was original to my car. When I bought the car from PO, he let me know he did little to no work on the car, and I have seen a few late '73.5 with same tank. It also does not hang below the fender.
    E Sully
    1973.5 911T

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    Look at my post #30 again, place a level at the bottom of the drain plug and see if it is level with the bottom of the rear bumper. Given some difference in rake of the chassis, I had a.2* to the rear bumper, almost level. If the tank drain plug is a lot lower than that, it is not a 73 tank. Let's get some feedback from owners, particularly non console/CIS T/73.5 cars. Gled

My 7/73 T has the oil filter console as pictured. I believe our 9/72 '73S does not have the console.

Frankc, you seem to need the separate console oil tank since it is an early production ROW.
    Gled49, I have my bumper off so I can't give you that measurement. With a standard bubble level, it is 7 1/2" from the bottom lip of the fender to the bottom of the drain plug, 7 3/8" to the bottom flange of the oil tank. With the bumper on it was pretty much the same as your measurement. The drain plug was not below the bumper.
    There were quite a few differences in the '73 model year it seems. Front bumper mounts were different, CIS was introduced mid year, new oil and gas tanks.
    In this Post is a very unique but so far undocumented gas tank. http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...=gas+tank+1973
    It has the full size spare, swirl pot, but is not like any other 73.5 cis tank I have seen. It's fuel lines are more like the later '74 on with front mounted fuel pumps. Northern Thrux had it in his '73 S when purchased. His restorer believed it to be incorrect for the car. Interesting since it would be for a pre space saver tank.
    E Sully
    1973.5 911T

JC4, I think you have it backwards, my best guess.
    Sully, from the top of my bumper/bottom of turn signal lens, I'm 6 1/2". Gled

Here is a picture with the car up on stands from when I pulled the engine. You can see that the drain plug is pretty much flush with the bumper as yours seemed to be with the 2* angle.
    Name:  73-86Eng002.JPG
Views: 251
Size:  96.7 KB
    E Sully
    1973.5 911T

Mine is almost level with the rear of bumper by the reflector, .2*. Also my 6 1/2" measurement is above the reflector at the tail brake light lens. We'll figure this out. Gled
    Also look at my picture of my oil tank/drain plug position compared with side of rear bumper in post #30.
    Last edited by gled49; 12-25-2014 at 06:11 PM.

my engine is currently out of the car (fixing the gearbox shown in another thread) but i took these photos today. I could not get any better ones as the car was up on the hoist with another car under it. but without the engine in it, and from below you get an idea of how far it comes down. My car is a late June 73 build and i believe the oil tank is original.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

37yrold911, as for the screen guard being installed, I have found oil tanks from 1970 on with it.
    Name:  1970.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  41.7 KB
    Name:  1971oil.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  136.0 KB
    E Sully
    1973.5 911T

Hugh, is your console separate or welded.
    It would seem the one year only tank is very complex. It seems to have started with the standard 911.107.006.11 separate console, and then a few late types.
    There are examples in my Post# 19, and here are some others.
    1973 CarreraRSTouring Non separate console.
    Name:  1973carrerarstouring107.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  733.4 KB
    9113301070S Non separate console
    Name:  9113301070S.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  102.6 KB
    9113301332S
    Name:  9113301332_S.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  105.0 KB
    So, as with many questions about originality, Porsche has not made it easy. Which red horns, when re-enforced doors started, Yellow or Black shroud, COA shows rear spoiler when in fact it was the S front bumper spoiler, etc. I still wonder about early 1972 without the exterior oil door.
    I am confident that my tank is original, and I have seen enough other late 73.5 with it not to worry. It is lower and with more capacity than the early separate console. It does not hang below the bumper, and tapers up in the rear to stay above the bumper. It would not surprise me if it is the same as the 1974. From my reading on the Registry, new stock and old stock were seemingly mixed along the way with every model year change.
    E Sully
    1973.5 911T